Prologue

Edited May.

OREOLUWA JERKED AWAKE AS HER HEAD HIT THE WINDOW OF THE AGOFURE BUS.

She winced sharply, feeling for what she was sure was slowly turning into a light bruise with her fingertips. Surely enough, the middle of her forehead was sporting a swell which made her grunt in frustration.

Why couldn't bus drivers drive with care? she thought sadly. All they were cognized of was how to get to their destination on time while putting the lives of their passengers at risk.

Murmurs of protest began to ring out from the crowded bus, some people were shouting for the bald head driver to drive gently so that everyone would safely reach the first bus stop.

Oreoluwa could vaguely hear the driver grunting under his breath as she was seated along with four other passengers directly behind him. She looked about her with mild disinterest.

Some of the traveller's heads were bent over the front of their seats and their tired eyes were shut. Ore knew they were probably exhausted from the long trip and would continue sleeping until they got to Choba junction which was the main centre of attraction in Portharcourt city.

Most of the older women were looking minutely out the window as they chewed on whatever snacks they had bought by the roadside.

The sparse few blew loudly on their bubble gum. The annoying sound grated highly on her nerves. Oreoluwa thought they looked wretched with their wrinkled skin and lined foreheads, down to the way their hands shook as they adjusted their seating position.

The Agofure bus had slowed down to a minimal speed limit, not wanting to go overboard and risk any car accident. Oreoluwa was a bit unsure if the actual reason for the crawling pace of the bus was because the brake was faulty and the motor lacked oiling.

That was a major problem of transportation systems in Nigeria. They found it hard to service their engines properly before taking on the lives of various individuals on a trip.

Whether it was an act of indolence or mere ignorance, Oreoluwa wasn't too sure about either. The one thing she was certain of was that she was going to flex her life as an undergraduate of Uniport.

Since she was born, her parents nestled her like an egg and made sure no harm came to her. They restricted her movements and safeguarded her throughout her childhood to her teen years.

Now, they weren't going to be with her and caution her on every silly mistake she made. She was going to break free of that cocoon and come out in the open with a breath of fresh, salty air.

That was the thought that kept on whirling in her head as the driver announced their long awaited arrival at Portharcourt.

"Choba," the man's cracked voice called out. "Na here we dey drop ni."
[We are stopping here]

A broad smile spread across Ore's face as she replied excitedly, "Driver, dropping ooo."
[I am coming down here]

Passengers began to shuffle around in their seats as the bald headed man opened his worn out door and clambered out of the bus.

He unfolded the trunk where suitcase after suitcase with various travel items were stacked side by side. Oreoluwa offered a silent prayer to God, thanking him for a safe journey.