Chapter 4

Dedicated to debrlynn ❤️❤️

Throughout the following week, Ore's mum called approximately fifteen times to check up on her daughter's progress in school. Ore found the incessant calls kind of irritating because the same day she had moved into the hostel, she notified her mum on whatsapp of her success in getting a bed space and settling in.

She complained about the issue to Mercy as she found her easy to talk with and very understanding. Infact, the duo were growing closer and closer within a short time frame than anyone would have imagined. Mercy was a carefree person who was high spirited and jovial, coupled with the fact that she was godly. Ore found that a bit out of fashion but she didn't ponder much about it.

Mercy practically dragged Ore to her church fellowship at the school campus every evening. The reason why Ore found it bothersome was because she had grown up in a protestant church and switching to a catholic's wasn't her thing. Her parents hadn't trained her in that manner and she was finding it a bit hard to adjust.

In Ore's mind though, she admired Mercy a lot. Mercy had all the good qualities of a wife from what she had seen so far. Despite being pretty, she was sociable, hardworking, diligent, and a talented chef in the making. Ore had witnessed it herself.

The next day after moving in and trying to be a bit outgoing with some of the hostellers who had been a bit hostile to her at first, Mercy had treated her to a surprise treat of chicken pepper soup and rice.

Ore was shocked when she arrived at the room that evening, the delectable scent of the meal made her mouth water and she swallowed her spittle. Mercy hastily welcomed her and served a plate of the tasty food for her, thereafter, she asked her how her day went.

Ore amidst mouthful of food began reporting the events of the day and how she was making friends with some of the students she met along the way.

Ore told Mercy of how awed she was of some dress styles she found a few slay queens putting on. She felt bad with her simple black jeans and yellow polo.

It wasn't as if she wasn't self confident but little things like physical appearances mattered a lot to her. Ore was instantly regretting why she didn't bring some of the hot gowns she had hidden from her mother to school.

Maybe then, the girls who flung their coloured wigs without a care in the world, would be admiring her instead of it being the other way round. Ore's sigh of regret made Mercy to wonder and Ore found that her appetite had left her. Mercy noticed that and gave Ore a warning to desist from lusting after material things because they killed in the long run.

Ore huffed and proceeded in biting some flesh out of the chicken leg. She watched Mercy relax on her bed as she typed away on her phone. Ore silently pondered how Mercy could live without the sight of those babes moving her to her core. For her, it was an inner battle but she decided to shrug the thought out of her mind and enjoy the saucy soup in silence.

The next morning was a Sunday and Mercy had to wake Ore up at 5:30 a.m. for them to prepare for the early mass by 7:00 a.m. Ore mubbled under her breath as she stretched her arms stiffly in the air and relaxed more comfortably into her warm blanket. She wanted to sleep some more but Mercy was having none of it. She sprinkled water from her bailer on Ore's face which was muddled with spittle which dripped from her agape mouth onto her chin.

Ore jumped up from the bed alarmed and sent Mercy a disapproving look to which she barely shrugged her shoulders. Ore rubbed her sleepy eyes and yawned loudly. By the time, Mercy was lifting her plastic bucket filled with water to have her bath outside.

A brown stripped towel was tied tightly around her chest with a soap can in her hand. Ore felt a slight shudder run through her at the thought of bathing cold water despite the chilly air. Her feet found her bathroom slippers at the bottom of her bed and she slipped easily into it, enjoying the brief warmth it gave her.

She wasn't feeling up for a Sunday service but who was she to argue? There was no way she wasn't going to feel guilty seeing other hostel girls all doled up for church while she hovered about her dry room. Ore took off her pink nightwear in the blink of an eye and fastened her wrapper on her chest.

She hastily unplugged her samsung phone from charging as there was no light and put on her torch by the tap of a button. This guided her in chugging her aluminum bucket and making the short dash to the mowed grass. That was where hostellers usually took their bath. But, they had to do so before 6:00 a.m. when the supervisors resumed duty.

The female supervisor placed a ban on students bathing outside for their own safety but of course, students would always be students and do the opposite. Anyone caught in the act was to pay a fine of one thousand naira and scrub the dirty toilet and bathroom for two weeks.

With that in mind, Ore made haste in grabbing her shaving stick along with her sponge that was hanging on a rope. She watched Mercy absently as she poured water on her naked body to rinse the soapy mixture. Ore's shaky hands clutched her bailer and with confidence, she poured the cold water onto her skin sprouting goosebumps all over.

Her eyes caught that of Mercy's as she rubbed her face with a black soap and their laughter rang out, piercing the stillness of the morning.

The early mass was a huge flop for Oreoluwa because she couldn't pay attention to what the Father was preaching. She was experiencing a severe stomach pain and it wasn't at all funny. Her gut clenched and she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Mercy who was sitted across from her gave her a concerned look as she watched Ore squirm throughout the sermon.

_____________________________

Author's note: What do you think is wrong with Ore?