Nightmares

A/N:

So I'm mainly gonna be doing this book like how I organized the series. Like I'll be doing a couple Kara x Steve and then I'll do the rest and then double back and so on and so forth. Just thought I'd let you know.

Enjoy!

****

Kara

My eyes snapped open, a yelp tearing out of my mouth. I clutched at my shoulders still feeling Japanese bullets slashing through the muscle. My cheeks felt sticky, raw, and tearstained from the nightmare.

"Kara?" Steve's arm slipped around my waist. "Why are you awake?"

I cleared my throat before scrubbing at my face. My eyes squeezed shut, flashing memories of bombs and fighter planes across my vision.

"Hey, stop that," He chided gently taking my hands in his. "What's going on?"

I scanned over his face catching in the worry in his blue eyes. "Nothing, I just, uh, bumped my shoulder."

"Kara."

"You know," I smiled slightly. "That's not actually my name."

"Really? And what is?"

I brushed my hair back, fiddling with the necklace around my throat. It clicked and a fell open along my collar bones. The slip of paper hidden inside tumbled into my open palm.

"Anastazia," my lips quirked into a smile. "It means resurrection."

"It's beautiful. Now, what's wrong?" Steve brushes his thumbs over my cheekbones. I shook my head. "No. Don't do that. Don't shut me out."

I stared down at my fingers, and the note I toyed with between them, avoiding his eyes. Damn puppy eyes always got me.

Steve tilted my head up, cupping my jaw in his right hand. "Please."

"I don't want to bother you with my problems," I grumbled leaning forward to tuck my face into his shoulder.

Steve's shoulder shook slightly with laughter. "You could never bother me with that, Kara. If anything it's the other way around."

I poked his stomach. "That's 'cause your problems tend to be world ending, catastrophe type issues." Sighing, I thought it over. It would probably be best to explain. "You remember what happened in Pearl Harbor, right?"

"Of course," he frowned. "Why?"

"I was there."

Steve's grip on my body tightened significantly. Pressing me further into his chest and possibly marking my hips black and blue. "What?"

"The SSR sent me there about a week before it happened. I was supposed to make sure the Aircraft carriers got there safely and then they were sent somewhere else," I sucked in a deep breath. "I was leaving on the seventh at noon. Let's just say I didn't make it to the airport."

"Oh, Kara." He leaned his head against mine running his fingers up and down either side of my spine. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"I shouldn't have to. This isn't what I was trained to feel like. It's in the past."

Steve drew back, cupping my face in his hands. "And you trained me and dozens of others. Where and who we are trained by doesn't define you."

"Yeah, I trained you after I'd gone soft," I laughed slightly. Steve rolled his eyes and tucked his fingertips into my hairline. "You have no idea what I was like before I got out."

"You never talk about it and I don't want to push it." He shrugged his shoulders before scrubbing a hand over his face.

"Only because I never want to go back there- even if it's only through memories- unless it's to burn that damn building to the ground."

Steve frowned drawing a lip between his teeth. His eyes flickered across my face worriedly. "You don't ever have to go back there. If you don't want to talk about it I'm not gonna make you."

He paused for a moment and glanced over at the clock on our bedside.

"However, the next time you have a nightmare, don't lie about it. I'm not going to get mad if you wake me up either."

I smiled. "Okay."

"Okay?" He raised his brows a small smile crossing his lips. Steve leaned forward and pressed his lips to my cheek briefly. "You need to get some sleep."

I could practically feel myself become small. Fear weaving its way into my bloodstream. "I don't wanna have any more nightmares."

My voice sounded weak, slightly hoarse. Steve's face softened further and he carefully edged my body into his side.

"C'mere," he spoke softly pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I'll make sure to keep them away."

"You're sickeningly corny."

"Shut up and go to sleep."