Epilogue

@disneyswiftie Thanks for your request, I had fun writing this xx

Andi's POV

Life is a surprising thing, isn't it?

I thought I'd be the first one in our friendship group to share vows, with some Jonah-like guy.

CeCe and I would have done meticulous planning until everything was perfect.

I almost got married once - to a man with a perpetual smile etched on his face, just like Jonah. 

But then I decided I wanted more. 

Someone who could feel more.

It took me so long to understand what Cyrus meant when he told me that he also liked Jonah.

But it took me longer to understand that I found Amber's smile just as cute as Jonah's, maybe even more so.

She feels more. 

Not more than Jonah or my Jonah-type ex-fiance, just more.

She is most beautiful when she cries, she won't let you see it often but it is incredible.

Her happy tears are the best of all.

//

Later today, I'm going to Cyrus' 'stag-do'. Turns out, dorky little Cyrus is the one who's getting married first. And not to a Jonah-type guy like he must have thought back in middle school. But also to someone who feels more. I think it must run in the Kippen family or something. 

Personally, I think it's a little unnecessary, the two of them have been married since they were born. And then separated. And then together again. But Cyrus was always one for theatrics.

He's an actor after all. He's been 'married' a million times on stage. But tomorrow there won't be an intermission or a curtain call.

Before we even knew TJ, we 'knew' TJ. Cyrus didn't talk about him ALL the time, he would just little 'I bet TJ would..." comments here and there.

They've been engaged for 5 years now. But something about the ceremony is making me so excited for him. 

Cyrus being the centre of attention for a change. 

I made his Bar Mitzvah about me, I don't know how he put up with me at times, but I'm so glad he did.

He and Buffy are my rocks - not many people get to say that about their friends from middle school.

Buffy's POV

Cyrus has really come far. 

I was the first person he ever told that he was gay, he was terrified to ever even use that word. 

He was ashamed of himself then.

I stand by what I said all those years ago. 

He really isn't any different.

Taller. Happier. More confident, sure.

But no different.

I've seen everything, I know almost everything.

When we lived together, I saw his eyes glimmer with tears after he ended his FaceTime calls with TJ.

I saw him twiddle his thumbs before a performance.

I knew him when he didn't want to get out of bed because he no longer had a mother in his life.

He still doesn't know if she'll come or not.

I'm glad I found Marty - he gets Cyrus.

All I ever needed around Cyrus was a guy friend who really got him (since he and TJ were never truly platonic).

Being a trans man Marty understood the fear of being outed.

He understood everything Cyrus was going through and more.

He loved Cyrus like his own brother, as I do.

He eased so much pressure on me to look after Cyrus (Cyrus would often tell me things way before Andi in high school).

To do and say the right thing always.

To fill in for his mother even though we are the same age.

Life really turned out for us all.

We all gradually lost contact with Jonah but he's coming to the ceremony tomorrow and it'll be nice to catch up, I haven't seen him since freshman year in college.

It's weird to think I must have been just 19, then.

It's still weird to think of myself as 27 though to be fair.

The Big Day

***

Cyrus sat still whilst Buffy did his hair. She crouched in front of his and created a gelled curl that rested on his forehead.

"There!" She exclaimed.

Andi was pressing his black and white pinstripe suit.

It was vintage, just like Cyrus wanted it.

Amber had applied a face mask to his face ad instructed him to stay hydrated.

"You can have dry lips if you want a dry-lipped kiss, Cy," She said, pointing at him to take another sip from his cup.

The suit was complete with a navy cravat and a matching pocket square.

//

TJ's dressing room

"Marty, I need to see him!" TJ said pacing up and down.

"What if he thinks the suit is gross?" TJ aid panicking

"I picked out all the elements of a dream suit to him," Marty responded, patting his friend's shoulder.

TJ came out in a garnet suit complete with a waistcoat chain. His hair was gel-free and his eyes were brighter than they'd ever been.

Marty and TJ's college basketball friends all wore muted blue suits. Amber stood beside TJ in a pale blue cocktail dress.

Cyrus' cousin Timothy (one of his closest friends), Andi and Buffy were all clad in muted purple attire.

Cyrus came out soon after and looked at the rows of his and TJ's important people.

Thomas was there front and centre, grinning hugely.

Next to him sat Cyrus' dad and stepmother.

A few rows back, even TJ's mother had made an appearance.

And next to her, sat a lady whose face was a little obscured.

Upon closer reflection, it was Cyrus' mum.

But today wasn't about reconnecting with her, that could be any other day.

Cyrus and TJ both looked at each other and thought - today is ours.

TJ produced a medium-sized box too big for rings.

They had already done the rings anyways.

 "Before I share a kiss with my new husband," TJ began, "I'd like to tell you all the story of the rice. When Cyrus and I were kids, we thought that marriage was when you couldn't spend all day with anyone else. And that person couldn't be your legos. So Cyrus and I threw rice everywhere and declared ourselves married.

And we weren't entirely wrong.

Now, 20 years later. We're going to do it again!" He said opening the box and tilting all of the rice out.

Cyrus took his face in his hands and kissed TJ like no one was watching.

***THE END***