receive

『receive』

EDITH'S TONGUE FEELS FUZZY.

The type of fuzzy you feel when you burn it on a hot drink. She scrunches her face up slightly, rubbing her tongue against the inside of her cheek whilst she's putting her cappuccino down, a sigh falling from her lips as she glances at her MacBook. Photography is Edith's passion, but as she gazes at the wedding photos she was recently asked to take, she remembers how much of a pain in the ass editing is.

"Here's your bill, Edith," her soft brown eyes flicker up to barista and close friend, Nathan, who's giving Edith a charming smile. He bows jokingly, settling the bill on a little dish beside her; and even though she isn't embarrassed of her photography, Edith slowly closes the lid of her laptop to not draw attention to her current project.

Edith smiles as she says thank you, watching as he gives her a boyish wink before leaning against the emerald green suede sofa she sits on familiarly. Her eyes skim over the bill, and she sighs as she notices how Nathan has forgotten to add the blueberry muffin she ordered.

"Nathan, you forgot my blueberry muffin," she watches as he playfully smacks his hand against his forehead in a forgetful way; sharp blue eyes closing as a cheesy grin snaps across his face.

Sighing dramatically Nathan says, "ah, don't worry Edith, I'll add it to your bill when you next come to the Coffee Hut!"

Her cheeks fill a soft pink as she glances back down to her closed laptop. She doesn't understand why Nathan does this. Why he pretends to forget something from her bill, only to say he'll add it to her next one in an attempt to lure her back, seeing as Edith visits the Coffee Hut cafe three times a week.

The small local coffee house is run by Nathan's family, which unfortunately is placed opposite a Starbucks that looms on the other side of the high street. Though this causes financial strain for the Coffee Hut, Edith is selfishly thankful she has the entire cafe to herself some days.

Gazing around the Coffee Hut, she smiles whimsically as a playlist titled Coffee and Chill tinkles around the cafe. Edith knows every song on the playlist — after all, she did make it with Nathan.

The cafe oozes with charisma, the dark shabby chic interior painting a mysterious ambience, when really there's nothing mysterious about the place. It's what it says on the tin: a coffee house.

But Edith's favourite thing about the Coffee Hut (if not her only true friend, Nathan), is the charming design. With mismatched furniture, floor to ceiling windows around the entire store, and the back wall adjacent to the till a bookshelf, Edith can't help but feel sincerely attached to the small cafe.

Shaking her head, she places a ten—pound note onto the silver dish her bill sits on. "This should cover the coffee and the muffin —" she watches as Nathan opens his mouth, probably to lecture her about how it's far too much money she's offering him. "And— and before you argue, there's a tip too, please keep the change."

A gentle rose gold blush flits across her cheeks as Edith adverts her eyes to her belongs. She carefully begins to pick them up, placing them in her bag neatly as Nathan picks up the bill. Edith can feel his sharp blue eyes on her, making her blush smother the sides of her neck.

Once all her stuff is together, and Nathan has retreated behind the till, she picks up her dirty and used plate and mug, before placing it next to the till.

With her white blonde hair in her eyes Edith gives Nathan a genuine, toothy smile, bidding him farewell for the evening. "I've got to go pick up Eren and Emma from their volleyball practice now. I'll see you on Wednesday."