fly

『fly』

THE CAMERA WHICH HANGS AROUND EDITH'S NECK ON A SLIGHTLY FRAYED STRAP, used to be too heavy when her grandmother first gifted it to her. That was for her birthday two years ago, but now, Edith's nape has gotten used to the weight.

The camera is a very special item to Edith. She bites her bottom lip slightly, hands clutching around the lump of plastic and glass. There's a slight nervous sweat decorating her eyebrow, as she watches untamed volleyballs shoot around the gym like blue and yellow bolts of lightning.

"So, do you take photos often?"

Jumping a little, Edith's too focused on guarding her camera with her small hands that she doesn't notice Will standing slightly behind her; his head peaking over her shoulder to glance at the one thing she's worried is going to shatter.

Edith lifts the camera up to cheek height before smiling at Will, taking a step sideways so they stand elbow to elbow. Still grinning she says, "well— yes, but it's more so a hobby than anything else."

She watches as Will nods, his arms tucked into his gym short pockets. His eyes linger on her for a moment longer, before he gently turns a cheek so he's facing the class of twelve to sixteens.

"So is photography something you want to go into?" Will asks softly, and all Edith can do is bite her lip and look away. She knows some people look down at photography — saying it isn't a stable source of income or isn't hard work.

There's apprehension in her stomach, and Will's eyes loiter a little around her face before speaking again. "Because if so, I think that's cool— you're definitely going to excel at anything you go into, so why not go into something you love doing."

Instantly, all he apprehension in her stomach fizzles into butterflies; a daft grin smothering her cheeks. She needed to hear that. It was almost as if he knew she was nervous to tell him. She needed to hear that.

"You think so?" She mumbles softly, her fingers tapping against the camera as she childishly bounces slightly with excitement. "Because— well— I don't have excellent photography skills— I mean, I think they're good but —"

Will takes a step closer, making Edith's voice trap itself into her throat. "Do you have a favourite?" He questions, and Edith must bite her lip to stop herself from giggling at the way he's got to crane his neck the tiniest bit, just to look at her. "A favourite photo you've taken?"

Edith tilts her head, and for a moment the sound of screeching children and volleyballs slapping against wooden floors vanishes. The smell of cleaning product and faint sweat dissipates, and the world around Will dims for a split second.

"I do, it's in my purse," bashfully, she ignores the way Will beams with a lopsided smile at this. "I left it in my car though, I'll show you after practice if you want?"

He nods only once, but it's enough to make Edith's tummy flutter. "Please, I'd love that."

Sighing shakily, Edith turns to face the gym; and even though she's hypersensitive to Will, she's also wide awake as she watches Eren and Emma warm up for their practice game, the twins receiving between each other.

"I'm sure you don't need reminding, but volleyball can be a super—fast sport sometimes," Will comments gently, and for a second Edith thinks his body sways the slightest bit towards her. She blinks. No, surely, she imagined that. "Truthfully, the kids don't make any quick sets yet, but... the super twins might make some deviant attack."

Frowning, Edith turns to Will. The temptation to ask what he means by super twins and deviant attack lingers on the tip of her tongue, but she bites it. Maybe this'll be something better to witness, than to have explained to her.