Chapter 6: Hurt

"Sometimes the most painful truths are the most difficult to remember."

~***~

To be honest, Varian could only recall fragments of what happened during Eugene's birthday. His head had started to hurt unbearably as he tried to understand it all.

~***~

Even after Rapunzel's warning, Varian had been really happy to see Cassandra. He had wanted to apologize to her so badly. But she was different than he remembered. This Cass was so cold, and so full of rage. It frightened him.

It also confused him. He had no idea how to act around this new Cass.

She didn't seem to be surprised that he was out of jail and friends with Rapunzel again (in fact, she wasn't. She didn't think he could stay mad for long. But she would. She was stronger).

"Hey, Varian!" She whistled. It caught him completely off-guard. He was flustered and at a loss for words. He didn't have a crush on her anymore, that was long ago. But he'd always seen her as a friend, someone who seemed to care about him.

"If you want to read that scroll, you're gonna need my translation key! And, now that I've destroyed it, you'll never know what the scroll says because the only translation in earthly existence is locked safely away up here. BOOM!"

"Heh. Is that a fact?"

"Oh, yeah!"

...

"I should probably not have said that out loud." What was he doing? He was making a complete fool of himself. Varian nervously backed away. What did she want?

In one swift motion, Cass had pinned him against the wall.

"Then I guess you're coming with me."

Varian gulped, unable to move. Trusting her luck, Cass picked up a small vial that lay nearby and smashed it against the wall, next to his head. A green fume started to spread.

The last thing Varian noticed before he passed out, was that he didn't recognize that vial...

~***~

He'd figured that out by now. Turns out, Ruddiger hadn't just been feeding him apples and cocoa while he was working down there...

Ruddiger knew Varian very well, the boy would never voluntarily eat or go to sleep when he was working on a project. So the raccoon brought food down to the Demanitus room for him. Varian appreciated that.

He still had no idea how the raccoon had learnt how to read, but apparently he had. Ruddiger had found one of Varian's old recipes and used it to make a sleeping potion he put in the cocoa when he found it was time for Varian to take a break.

Varian chuckled. He had been outsmarted by his own raccoon. And saved, probably. If Cassandra had grabbed one of the other vials lying on the floor, things might not have ended so well...

~***~

He woke with a start. "Hey! Where are we?"

"I need that third incantation, Varian."

He'd been clumsy and confused before. But now, his hands tied behind his back, the truth had finally gotten through to him. Cassandra wasn't a friend anymore, she just wanted to use him.

"Never!" No way. Rapunzel relied on him.

"I knew you'd say that."

Why was she so calm? Varian braced himself, expecting her to snap and torture him in some kind of way. He had no means to defend himself here. He had to use his full willpower not to tremble, not to let her see how scared he was.