Chapter Seven

"Please pair up with that special someone as the Estes Park Orchestra plays our first dance of the night." The handsome male announcer extended his arm to Laurie and the orchestra as the room flooded with clapping. Laurie squinted her eyes as the stage lights slightly blinded her. The conductor looked at Laurie, she nodded. Then he raised his arms. The orchestra lifted their instruments. The crowd was waiting for the music to start. Laurie was trying to focus on the sheet music in front of her; she was looking at the conductor in the corner of her eye. His arms lift, then he starts conducting the orchestra. Laurie panics as she enters late. She picks back up again as the conductor gives her a rather disappointed look. Laurie gives him a small smile. Laurie gets confused with never seeing this piece of music in her life, and she's playing it like a pro. She goes along with the given situation once again. She smiled as couples were smiling back up at her. Her smile once again lit up the room, and everything in it. Laurie didn't understand how her fingers were naturally moving against the keys, and following along with the rest of the orchestra. It's not everyday that you just happen to know how to play a full symphony. Her head can't wrap around everything that's happened in the past week. Apparently, she's a professional piano player, wealthy, good friends with Flora Stanley, and also engaged to someone she knows nothing about. Laurie shakes her head as it is erupting with too many thoughts. Laurie felt as if she was stuck in a home away from home. She felt like she belonged. Because of Laurie's apparent wealth, she wanted to use it while she had the chance to. She didn't know how long she would be stuck in the past.

The handsome announcer extends his arm to Laurie as she stands up and bows. He walks Laurie down the stairs. Laurie points at Flora. He leads the way over to Flora and her husband. He hands her off, she takes Flora's arm. He takes her hand one last time, then kisses her on the hand.

"Wonderful job, Ms.Wright. Truly." He squeezes her hand, then walks away to join the rest of the men. Flora kisses her husband on the cheek, then walks with Laurie around the crowds of people.

"Excellent job! It truly was beautiful. Hello!" Flora waves at a couple walking by. Everyone in the room looked like they were from the movie, "Titanic." Laurie thought it was the most beautiful thing she's ever seen. The atmosphere in the room was gentle and light. Everyone had a smile on their faces, holding a small glass of champagne in one hand as the other was around their spouse. "What's wrong, dear? All eyes have been on you all night long. What's wrong with that?" Laurie pursed her lips together, then smiled at people as they walked by.

"Well, I'm the only one here wearing red lipstick, and I'm pretty sure that everyone here has someone except for me." Laurie frowned slightly feeling self conscious.

"What about Ben?"

"He's Ben."

"Right. What was I thinking?" Laurie and Flora laughed together. Flora's husband, Freelan and Ben walked up to the girls together. Her husband hit Ben on the arm.

"Laurie!" Ben smiled as best he could. He leaned in to kiss her on the cheek, Laurie pushed him away. Flora winked at her in approval.

"Hi Ben." Laurie smiled as best as she could in return. She held his hand weakly in hers. Ben was determined to get some sort of affection from her.

"Ms.Wright. Beautiful job, this evening." Freelan took her hand, kissed it, then gently squeezed.

"Thank you, sir." She squeezed his hand in return. Ben stood there with his hands folded in front of him.

"Ben? Aren't you going to tell your fiancé how well she did?" Flora said in a stern tone. She put her hand on Laurie's shoulder. Ben didn't reply. He was lost in his own thoughts.

"Ben?" Laurie snapped her fingers in front of his face. He took a step backwards.

"I'm sorry, what?" He smiled. Laurie rolled her eyes. Flora, and even Freelan did too.