Five-Quinn

Once the bell rang at the end of the day, Mason walked me over to a group of his friends. "I need to talk with them for a second, so just wait a moment, okay?" He whispered to me. I nodded.

Mason talked with his friends about some class assignment. They all asked about me but all he said was that I was his little sister.

We went out to the van where Alex was waiting. "What took you so long?" He asked worriedly.

"I had to talk with some friends about an assignment," Mason explained.

"Okay, but text me next time you're going to be running late," Alex sighed.

"I'm sorry," I wrote.

"No, it's not your fault," Alex sighed. He put his hand on my shoulder and smiled. "You didn't do anything wrong, Quinn." I nodded and climbed into the van.

"So how was your first day?" Alex asked. I gave him a thumbs up. "Good, how was art class?" Two thumbs up. "I'm glad it's lived up to your expectations," he laughed. I  just nodded. "Well I'm glad you had a good first day," Alex said smiling back at me.

When we got back to the house, nobody was there. "How long is mom working tonight?" Mason asked.

"Probably won't see her till we get home from school tomorrow," Alex said. "Dad will be home late too."

"How long until Devin and Camryn get back?" Mason asked while rummaging through the fridge.

"They said a friend of theirs was driving them back whenever they were done," Alex said, scrolling through the T.V. channels. "You two got any homework?"

"Finished it," I wrote.

"Nice job," Alex praised. I blushed and looked down.

"I've got some math homework," Mason sighed. "I don't even know how to do it. The teacher didn't teach us everything."

"I'll help you out, bud," Alex said. "Or it might be better if you wait for Cam."

"No offense, but I like it better when Cam shows me." Mason whispered. "She just helps me understand it better."

"I get it," Alex chuckled. "Do your teachers do that, Quinn?" Alex turned to me. I shook my head.

"They may not finish covering everything, but they explain the main concept," I wrote. "Once I know that I can figure out how to do the rest of the problems."

"You sound just like Camryn," Alex sighed. "Except, I don't know what you actually sound like."

"Look out for Cam two-point-o," Mason joked. I nodded and looked at my feet.

"Don't go getting shy on us now," Alex said. "We just started cracking your shell."

"Yeah," Mason agreed. "You're supposed to open up to us more, not the other way around."

Guilt gnawed at me. "I'm sorry," I wrote.

"No, not 'I'm sorry'," Alex sighed. "You apologized way too much. Just relax, you don't need to be so uptight." I blushed some more and nodded.

"Oh yeah," Mason said. "Guess who Quinn met."

"Who?" He asked.

"Ollie," Mason smiled.

"Oh yeah?" Alex mused. "Haven't seen that kid in ages. How is he? Has he been treating you well?" I nodded.

"He's doing fine, and he's been helping me a lot with school," I wrote.

"That's good," Alex smiled. "He's a good friend, keep him around."

    ~~~