Twenty three-Quinn

My head was throbbing, and my stomach felt like somebody had just tied it into a thousand knots. I didn't tell anybody about it, though. It would be a burden. I would be a burden.

Alex seemed to notice that something was wrong. I was making a lot more noise than usual, so it probably made him weary. I didn't mean to, I was just so dizzy that I bumped into things. He never said anything about it though.

I felt really hot, and I knew that I was red in the face. The Art Man asked me if I was alright, and tried to convince me to go to the nurse. I declined. There was no way that I was admitting that I was sick, it would bother other people and cause them problems.

Gym class came along and I walked into the bathroom. I'm not allowed to change in the locker room like the other girls. The Fitness Lady said that my body could be a disturbing image for the other girls. That one stung to hear. I changed in the stall really fast and walked to the gym, Mason by my side with his hand firmly grasping mine.

I was really upset on the inside when his comforting hand left and Mason went to the boys, who were going to be outside playing flag football. Outside I just remained neutral, although my facade was obviously wavering considering his hesitation to leave me.

"Okay class!" The Fitness Lady called. "Ten laps around the gym for your poor behavior with the substitute teacher!"

All of the kids grumbled and moaned. We didn't do anything, the sub was just really angry. He didn't want to come to school that day, and he constantly complained. If anything, he should be running the ten laps.

I was told to do a light jog, because of my, well, everything. I did as I was told, but halfway through I was feeling light headed. I tripped over my own feet and fell to the ground. I was too tired and weak to get up.

All of the girls crowded around me. One of them tried to help me up, but when she touched me I let out a pained moan and she pulled back nervously. The Fitness Lady cleared a path and helped me up. She put one of my arms around her neck, and wrapped one of her arms around my torso to keep me upright. We barely made it to the nurses office before everything went black.

~~~

When I woke up I was covered in sweat. My body felt like it was frozen in ice, and my stomach had gotten worse. I was laying on the couch in the living room. There were a few thick blankets laid over me that I snuggled into for warmth.

After a few minutes of warming up, I tried to stand up, but my knees buckled and I fell. My head collided with the coffee table, making a huge thud. I let out a small moan and held my throbbing head.

Rushed footsteps came from the kitchen. I looked up and my breath caught on my throat. There was a tall woman in front of me. She was Asian with black hair and eyes, and really pale skin. She was taller than Leigh and the Foster Lady.

"You alright?" The woman asked. She bent down and touched my head. I winced and pushed myself away from her. "It's okay sweetie, I'm not going to hurt you." The lady tried coaxing me over like an animal, and, let me tell you, I did not like that.

I stood up and steadied myself with the coffee table. The lady sighed and stood up too. She towered over me, like I was Jack and she was the giant.

"It's alright," the woman cooed. "Can you tell me your name, sweetheart?"

I looked around for my note pad, but I couldn't see it anywhere. My backpack was on the kitchen table. It was probably in there. I tried walking to it, but the lady was in my way. When I tried going around her, she thought that I was trying to get away, and cut me off.