Chapter One

I threw my scuffed canvas rucksack over my shoulder and carried on walking down the empty streets. The sky was a light grey and the boarded up windows of the bleak shops bordered the pathways. I flipped my long, black hair behind my left shoulder and carried on walking. I could see the sign in the distance, the purpley-brown and yellow sign and the iron gates were wide open, a swarm of teenagers made their way down the concrete road, some dotted about the fields and hanging around the doorways. I took a deep breath and stepped forward. A new start. Again.

The bell rang, a loud ringing noise symbolising first period. I glanced down at the silver locket around my neck, glinting in the early morning sunlight. I quickly tucked it into my school blouse and scurried towards the doors as most of the people from the playground and field made their way inside, every one of them belonging to a group of friends, and then there was me, not even knowing which classroom to go to. I guessed I would have to make my way to the headteacher's office, wherever that was.... "Hello, are you the new girl, Daniella Waters?" Welcomed a voice from behind me. A tall man, presumably a teacher, with dark hair and a grey suit was now standing next to me among the quickly decreasing number of students in the corridor.

"Yeah," I replied awkwardly.

"I'm Mr. Clarkson, the headteacher's office is just along here," He guided me along a short corridor, and up a staircase leading to a dark green door. "I have to go now, just ask to see Mr. Rimmer, and have a good first day!"

"Oh, ok," I said as he walked a short distance down the narrow corridor, windows on the right looking down at the now empty field.

I turned around and turned the handle of the door.