nine

3 month time skip

my eyes slowly flutter open, as they adjust to the darkness.
i check the time that stood on my bedside table.
2:47 am.
i let out a small sigh as i spun my body around, before i stood up from my bed completely.
i trudged outside from my bedroom and began to quietly head downstairs, eager to get a glass of water before heading back to bed.
i reached one of the many kitchens of this building and grabbed a cup from the cabinet, filling it up with water from a nearby dispenser.

i raised the glass to my lips and began to take sips of the water as i began to walk back towards my bedroom.
the sound of rather loud thuds from a nearby room, more specifically the fighting room, caused me to stop in my tracks and listen more carefully.
the sound was constant, merciless, and didn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. i noticed the light was switched on inside as well.
who could possibly be practicing this late at night?
i began walking closer towards the room. i knocked, before twisting the door handle and walked inside.

i squinted my eyes for a couple seconds from the bright light that i was immediately bombarded with. a familiar figure was standing in front of the punching bag that hung from the ceiling, and was harshly and quickly throwing skilled hits at it.
jungkook turned around for a split second to check who's at the door. his eyes met mine, and he turned back around, ignoring my presence.
he was punching without the gloves, but i won't question it.
i walked closer to him, and rested my side against the wall as i continued to drink my nearly emptied glass of water.
"what are you doing up so late?" i asked.

"letting out what i've been holding in for so long." his voice was raspy and gruff, almost as if he hadn't spoken in a while.
i simply took in his answer. he doesn't look like he's in the state to answer questions.
jungkook's punching seemed to so speed up and get more aggressive by the second. beads of sweat rolled down his forehead and was slowly beginning to soak into his shirt.
"slow down on the punching a bit. your hands are probably sore." i set down my now emptied cup on the floor, and walked a bit closer to jungkook.
"i don't care how fucking sore they get." anger filled his tone as he spoke.
i was a bit taken aback. he's been so nice to me these last couple months, i think i can even consider him a close friend of mine. what did i do?

it's okay. he's probably just mad and his anger radiates onto the way he acts.
he continued punching for a couple more seconds. his hands were almost entirely red, his knuckles beginning to split open.
"listen to me. take a break for a little." i walked closer, now standing only a step away.
he continued ignoring me. an angry expression coated his face, concealing any other of emotion
"jungkook, please."
he gave one, final blow to the punching bag, before his arms returned to his sides. jungkook lowered his head, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he took deep breaths.

we stayed silent for a couple seconds.
jungkook slowly lifted his head up. the biggest surprise was seeing his normally fearless and unreadable eyes, now glistening and full with tears.
"hey, it's okay. it's okay. my voice sounded a bit panicked at the sight of jungkook almost crying for the first time since i met him. i placed my palm on his cheek as if on instinct, and pulled him into an embrace, his head resting in my shoulder.
"i'm here." i mumbles into his shoulder, making sure he heard what i said.

seeing probably the most powerful man in my life look so hurt, so vulnerable, is slowly cracking my heart into a thousand smithereens.
i noticed jungkook was not returning my hug. awkwardly, i was about to pull away, before jungkook wrapped his arms around my torso entirely, almost as if he needed this hug more than anything. i felt so safe, so protected in his embrace.
his shaky breaths were the only thing that was filling the silence of this room.
i pulled away after what seemed like hours, all warmth of the hug dissipating immediately.

"do you want to talk about it?" i looked straight into his eyes. my voice was gentle and soft.
jungkook's slightly reddened eyes look at mine. he let out a small breath, before silently grabbing my hand, and began ushering me out of the room along with him.
i guess he does want to talk about it.
right?