Chapter 4

"But daddy, why?" Paul's voice asked. 

It was then revealed to be the next morning at the Chapman house. Benji, Tiffany, and Tramp were all waiting outside on the porch while Dr Chapman was talking to his kids, along with Kali, saying how they couldn't keep Benji. 

"Because that's just the way it has to be, son" Dr Chapman replied solemnly. 

Chapman told his despondent children that Benji carries diseases and forbid them from keeping him as a pet in spite of Cindy's tearful pleas. Kali thought Dr Chapman was being ridiculous and even tried telling the Chapmans that Benji really did want to stay with them, but the Chapmans only got confused by the tomboy as she couldn't tell them she talked to animals. 

Mary then made a statement to the kids saying how Benji's been on his own for a long time now, thinking he'd be very unhappy if they pinned him up. 

"It's just not fair!" Cindy cried then ran out of the house into the backyard. 

Kali frowned, feeling bad for Cindy and followed after her outside with the dogs. Tramp waited for just a minute to hear the rest of Dr Chapman's conversation at the door. 

"Paul, please try to understand" Dr Chapman told his son. 

"I'm trying, dad..." Paul replied, but sounded disappointed. 

"Well maybe you better go look after your sister" Dr Chapman advised. "Go on..." 

Paul then came outside to join his sister, Kali and the dogs while Tramp followed him. Dr Chapman then came up to the door, looking out to see his children sad and sighed. 

"Mary, how do you know when you're right or wrong? Am I really doing what's best or, am I just being a rotten eel?" he asked. 

"No, sir. And yes, sir" Mary replied. 

The Chapman kids were tearful since their father wouldn't allow them to keep Benji. The scruffy little stray came to comfort the kids by licking their faces. Paul and Cindy played with Benji and Tiffany for a bit. Tramp watched them and soon frowned, now starting to realize how much he missed Lady and their pups. 

It was soon time for the dogs to say goodbye to the kids. 

Kali came up to Tramp. "I'm gonna go see if I can charge up my crystal so we can get home" she told him before she left. 

Tramp then left with Benji and Tiffany while the kids watched them go. 

"Come on, let's get to school" Paul told his sister. "A few minutes with Ms Gilldy can take our minds off anything"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, after Benji and Tramp had introduced Tiffany to all his neighborly friends they headed back to the hideout to enjoy their bones that Bill had given them. 

"I'd say today's been a pretty good day so far" Tramp said to his friends while carrying his bone in his mouth. 

As the dogs snuck inside from upstairs, they could hear Riley and Henry's voices. They were back, and they were talking about something. 

"I told you it wouldn't be there, Henry" Riley said. "I told you that pudding cup would be gone" 

"Would you just shut up and keep writing" Henry groaned, being annoyed with his friend. "We're running late" 

Tramp and Benji peaked out through the banister to see Riley and Henry writing something with Riley doing it with his left hand. 

"Look at that, YOU CAN'T EVEN READ IT SO HOW CAN THEY TRACE IT!? Get out of there" Henry yelled, shoving Riley out of the way, crumpled up the note and threw it away while he wrote a new one himself.