Chapter 5

Poor Tramp was lying down on the bench with Benji, having his eyes closed while thinking about Lady and their pups. How on earth was he going to get back to them?...

Just then, Benji and Tramp could've sworn they heard a familiar voice nearby. The two scruffy dogs lifted their heads up and saw Benji's friend Officer Tuttle heading into the police station building across the street from them. 

The two dogs quickly jumped off the bench and ran into the building to try and get Officer Tuttle to come back and help them, but soon they lost sight of him. They looked all around the empty rooms but couldn't find him anywhere. 

"Now what?" Tramp sighed, feeling they were at a loss again. 

The two dogs sadly layed down on the floor with their heads down not knowing what to do. That is until Benji noticed an odd piece of crumpled up paper on the floor a few feet in front of them. 

"Huh?" the scruffy little stray came over to get a closer look at the crumpled up paper and started sniffing it. 

"Hey, Tramp," He called to his friend. "Come over and look at this"

Tramp did as Benji said and came over besides him, having a few good sniffs at the paper himself. 

"Hmm, that's strange" The schnauzer said. "It reminds me of something... Back at the hideout. It's just like..."

"The ransom note!" the two dogs soon said at the same time in shock. 

They quickly remembered how Henry threw away the last ransom note back at the house. Benji and Tramp got an idea. If they could get that ransom note and bring it back to the Chapman house to show the police maybe it could help them save the kids. 

Benji and Tramp quickly rushed back towards the exit, but unfortunately they ended up getting locked in as the manger was closing up for the day. 

The dogs scratched at the door and tried barking to get the man's attention but he couldn't hear them. They ran up to every window in the building to try in any way get the man's attention, but nothing worked.

Benji and Tramp soon came into a room with all these buttons and controls. Benji accidentally turned on a switch while he and Tramp continued barking. Their barks came out through the other end of the intercom outside of the building just as the man was passing by. Confused, he came back and saw the two dogs stuck inside the booth. 

"Hey, fellow dog lover? Do us a favor and help us out" Tramp told the man even though he couldn't understand him. 

"Let us out!" Benji barked at the man, scratching on the window. 

"What the devil are you two doing in there?" the man questioned the two dogs. 

The man came back and unlocked the door, letting the two dogs out and free as Benji and Tramp rushed back to the hideout as fast as their legs would carry them. 

Once they arrived back at the old abandon house they came in through the window onto the second floor and out to the staircase, looking out through the railing downstairs where they saw right there indeed was the thrown away ransom note still in it's spot on the ground. 

"Will you sit those kids down?" Tramp and Benji heard Mitch's voice tell Linda from the other room. 

"They're restless, they need to move around" Linda insisted, walking with the Chapman kids around the room.  

"Well move around some place else. That pacing back and forth's about to drive me crazy!" Mitch yelled in annoyance. 

Benji and Tramp needed to figure out how they were gonna get the ransom note without being seen. They knew there was almost no chance they could pull it off without being seen by the bad guys so they'd have to be quick.