Chapter 6: Bender or Not

     Kotori and Jett were already taken in after dark, and the trip there took a while. With it being late, they uncomfortably fell asleep. The next morning, everyone woke up by the clanging of the guards. Under each cell with slid a steaming bowl that held broth and other chunks in it. It didn't look as revolting as you might suspect in a prison, but it didn't look like someone's first choice either.

     Jett looked down at it. "How am I supposed to eat?" Jett asked. The guard shrugged, "Figure it out." With that, the guards left, including the ones who were supposed to guard Jett. "Need help with that?" The man in the cell next to him offered. "No, I'm not hungry anyway." Jett answered. "You can have it if you want it." Jett added. The man shrugged with a crooked smile on his face and took the bowl.

     As the bowl was slid under Kotori's cell, it slightly spilled. She looked down at it then directed her attention elsewhere. "Are you going to eat that?" A high pitched voice asked. Kotori looked to her left and saw a boy no older then seven looking at her. "No, you can have it." Kotori smiled. She took her left foot and slid it as far as she could until the chain was pulled tight.

     The boy happily consumed the soup and finished. "So, what's your name?" The boy asked Kotori. He came right up to the bars because he didn't have anything holding him back. "I'm Kotori." She smiled. "I'm Juno!" He grinned, revealing one of his teeth were gone. "How did you get here?" Juno asked. "Well, uhh. I don't exactly know, I was blind folded when they-" "No, I mean how did they catch ya?" Juno asked excitedly. He assumed there was a fight due to the extra security and the scrapes and bruises all over Kotori.

     "Oh. Well, me and my friend Jett took off several weeks ago to run away from Amon, at the time, I didn't know Jett was a fire bender. Anyway, so Amon's men knew I was an earth bender, but they didn't know about Jett either. Jett felt them coming from the air with heat waves. He nearly drug me off my feet to get away. They finally caught up and we fought. I used my earth bending and held them off for a while, but then they launched their metal gloves at me, keeping me from bending with my hands!" Kotori started, Juno gasped. "So I started bending with my arms and feet, it was harder but we kept going. Jett was beating them up no bending style until Amon's guards were ready to take me away. Jett saw, and used his fire bending! He shot them off their feet and freed me from their ropes.

     He picked me up and then set me down, preparing to fight. The moment the guards showed themselves, Jett zapped them with lightning!" "Yayyy!" Juno interrupted. "We spilt up and I struggled to keep them off. And finally they won." "Boo!" Juno commented. "But when they drug me back to their air craft, I saw Jett being pulled up. He wiggled his legs and burned the ropes but then fell to the ground. Then they got us in the aircraft and here I am." Kotori finished and the whole room sighed and let out "awe"s or "boo"s. Kotori blushed realizing the whole cell room was listening.

     The normal chatter of the room resumed but Juno was still there. "So, you were an earth bender too?" Kotori asked. "What do you mean by were? I still am! They thought I've already gone to see Amon, so they won't schedule me." Juno grinned. "That's great!" Kotori exclaimed, her face slightly lighting up. "I don't know when-" Kotori started when the wooden door flung open and silence filled the room. Juno went to the other end of his cell. The guard stopped in front of Kotori's cell.

     "You're scheduled to see Amon tomorrow, before noon." He said, then left. The guards left the room and the talking slowly increased. Juno came back over to her cell. "I'm sorry" Juno sighed. "I-it's okay. I'm sure the Avatar has everything under control." Kotori stated slightly scrambling her words. "Yeahhh, I hope so." Juno said. The rest of the day was quite boring, Kotori and Juno got to know each other, but that's the only exciting thing that happened.