Dark Desire

Chapter 2

Wriggling out of Vycandor's hold, I dropped my hand and shuffled over to one of the enormous windows to watch raindrops begin to fall like tears from Heaven. The only thing that gave me any comfort was knowing that Thomas was no longer a murderous corpse. My blood had healed him just like everybody else affected by the Breath of Immortality. The poisoned youth would live, but that didn't necessarily mean they were out of the woods yet. Just like Carmen and the guys, Thomas was still suffering the effects of the eclipse. How long the drunken stupor would last, I had no idea. Moonstruck and delirious, he was most likely wandering around the city of Kalamazoo lost, wet, and freezing cold.

More than anything else, I wanted to find him. Needed to find him. But I also knew time was running out to save everyone already battered and scarred from the first attack.

I just wish I knew how.

Vycandor cleared his throat to get my attention. Meeting his gaze he smiled seductively as his eyes roamed slowly over me from head to toe, making my skin overheat with thoughts of joining him underneath the thick purple bedding to get warm. As if putting me under a spell, he had a way of engulfing me in a fiery passion that sent shards of arousal slicing through my entire body. The power rising, swirling between us turned into an intoxicating inferno. Unlike Thomas, I knew Vycandor could stand the heat. That's why he was the perfect match for me. He's the oxygen that ignited my flame. Together we made an explosive combination.

No wonder the Dark Ones wanted to keep us apart.

Snapping out of his spell, I shook my head knowing he was trying to disarm my warring emotions of desire mixed with equal parts of discomfort by playing the role of a darkly romantic, turn-of-the-century villain straight out of a gothic novel. He may be a stuck up snob, but he was a stuck up snob who looked suspiciously a lot like Dracula. Yeah, if Dracula were over seven feet tall and had creepy blue skin.

Other than that, they could've been twins.

Irritated, I tried to hide the fact that I was undeniably attracted to him by playing stupid. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Admiring you," he replied evenly, studying my wardrobe. Or lack thereof.

Something told me that wasn't a compliment. Not even close. Besides, I felt an insult coming on.

Cocking his head to one side, Vycandor gave a disapproving sniff. "What are you wearing?"

And there it is.

I wasn't about to get sucked into his little mind games again. At least, not on purpose.

"I'm wearing clothes." Returning the insult, I glanced at the red tassels on the shoulders of his formal white waistcoat and frowned. "Who are you supposed to be, Sergeant Pepper?"

Choosing to ignore the snide comment, Vycandor produced a red velvet cape with a matching hat from a bedside table and tossed it to me. "Here, put these on."

I caught them one handed and lied through my teeth. "Why? I'm not cold."

It was his turn to frown. "Chaos, I feel horrible about what happened to Thomas. Whenever life doesn't agree with me, I like to listen to music. Especially when it's raining." This time Vycandor reached down and produced the violin he'd given to me as a gift, holding it out in front of him like a peace offering. "Will you play something?" Before I had a chance to tell him exactly where he could shove that violin, he added, "Music is magic. It has the power to heal the soul. Perhaps Thomas will hear you play and be guided back to the castle."

Begrudgingly, I put on the cape and matching beanie, snatched the violin from his outstretched hand along with the bow, and promptly stomped outside without uttering a single word. I wasn't about to give Vycandor the satisfaction of agreeing with him. Although he did have a point. My heart soared at the thought of Thomas being able to hear me play a song meant only for him.