Torn Between Two Loves

Chapter 3

Waiting for my answer, Thomas glanced back and forth between Vycandor and I – the pain in his hazel eyes mirroring the torture he must have felt at seeing me share my blood. The enormity of my betrayal slowly dawned on me. Thomas had given up his eternal life just so that I could live, yet I couldn't seem to stop hurting him.

Like it or not, without my blood to sustain his own life, Vycandor would surely die. What choice did I have?

Somehow I had to find a way to make Thomas understand.

“It's not as bad as it looks,” I began, cautiously approaching him. The pain behind his eyes only deepened in response. “Okay, it is as bad as it looks. I only did it to save him.”

Hands clenched into fists, this time when Thomas spoke he had murder in his voice. “Chaos, step aside.”

Ignoring his command, I stood my ground. “Listen to me. You were right. Vycandor did form a bond with me, but it's not his fault. It's mine. He's a drainer, not a drinker.”

Thomas blinked in surprise, his naked, blood spattered chest heaving up and down with carefully controlled rage, while his sculpted leg muscles played peek-a-boo underneath the torn black flannel pants I'd given him to wear. “What is that supposed to mean?”

I heaved a sigh, relieved that he was willing to listen and not resume his killing spree. For now, anyway. “It means Vycandor doesn't...uh, at least...he didn't need to feed in order to survive. On blood, that is.”

Somehow it sounded so much better when Vycandor explained it.

Thomas raised one heavily muscled arm and pointed behind me. “Don't allow him to fool you, Chaos. I know what he is. He's an abomination!”

“And what about you, my friend,” Vycandor scoffed. “You look like you could play the lead in Night of the Living Dead.”

For a second there, I thought Thomas was going to come unglued and attempt to rip Vycandor to shreds. Placing a hand on his boiling hot chest to stop him from advancing, I realized he was burning up with fever. “Trust me, Thomas. It's not his fault. I never would have let him feed off me in the first place if Serenity hadn't turned him into a beast. She could've just as easily done this to you, or me for that matter. If we're going to blame anyone, it should be her.”

“No," Thomas insisted. "Serenity couldn't do this to us. Vycandor was already a monster.”

Frustrated, I crinkled my brow. “What do you mean? How could he already be a monster?”

“He's a demonic angel,” Thomas explained with a snarl. “He preys upon unsuspecting females, inciting their carnal desires and then he feeds off their sexual energy. Like I said, he's an abomination.”

My eyes went wide. Feeling betrayed myself, I turned toward Vycandor. “Is that true? You told me you fed off humans life force and that's all. You claimed to be a psychic vampire. You never said anything about being a demon.” Although, in my heart, I already knew the truth.

I wasn't imagining it. Vycandor really was a demon.

Mind unraveling, I recalled how Holy Water had reacted like acid when it came in contact with his flesh. How just one look into his cat-like green eyes filled me with desperate yearning. How my body hummed with desire at being possessed by him.

Easing off the bed, I watched as the beast inside subsided – making him whole again. At least, temporarily. He looked almost completely normal.

Save for his pointy fangs and tint of his skin.

Vycandor must have felt it too because his gaze came up suddenly, reaching for mine. "It's true. I am what he says. In a very real sense we are all searching for someone in this world whose demons play well with our own. Just when I thought I'd finally found you, I lost you again. Desperately waiting for you to return, when you didn't I took matters into my own hands. I meant it when I told you something inside me broke when you left. I missed everything about you. The violence in your eyes when you're really angry. The sound of your voice. The smell of your skin. The taste of your lips. Nothing is right in my life when I'm not in your arms. I knew you could make this all okay. No more pain, no more hunger. You made me whole again."

I glanced back and forth between Vycandor and Thomas. This was the first time I'd been able to see them together. The differences between the two of them were striking. Thomas with his short yet unruly wild hair, piercing hazel eyes, and rugged, tough guy good looks. Vycandor with his waist length black hair, mysterious green eyes, strange blue skin, and regal haughtiness.

Thomas had already admitted that they both came to my school to find me. What I failed to comprehend was what made Serenity pick Vycandor. She could've just as easily picked Thomas and turned him into a monster.

And then it hit me.

“I know how to stop it,” I breathed.

Thomas and Vycandor answered at the same time in stereo. “Stop what?”

“I know how to stop the angels of war.”

This time only Vycandor responded in a deep voice. “What do you mean by Angels of War?”

Spinning around on one heel, I found Thomas lying face down on the shiny floor.

Only then did I notice the claw marks covering almost his entire back.

______________________________________________________________

Show that little star thingy some love if you liked this chapter. Thanks for reading!!!

A HUGE Thanks to @_x Luminous x_ for creating the EPIC Banner. Go check out her book, Tamming the Wolf Prince by clicking below: It's AMAZEBALLS!!!

http://www.wattpad.com/story/25664846-taming-the-wolf-prince