Chapter 8

Whispersong opened her eyes wearily. She was lying in the nursery. Sparrowtail, Echoheart, and Bumblefrost had suggested that she move into the nursery instead of sleeping back the warriors' den, especially after yesterday. Whispersong sighed. She felt out of place being back in the nursery; this time not as a kit, but the one having kits. But Whispersong wasn't complaining. Sleeping in the nursery meant she could get away from all the warriors, because most of them hated her now, or at least didn't want to be around her.

Whispersong's heart throbbed again as she remembered what Rustypelt had said to her yesterday: 'I couldn't care less about what happens to you! You're as good as dead to me! Dead!' Her stomach clenched painfully and her throat felt even dryer.

"Whispersong?"

Whispersong turned, misty-eyed, toward the small, quiet voice. It was Lilackit.

"Are you okay?" The tortoiseshell she-kit asked, light yellow eyes round with concern.

Whispersong sniffled. Did Lilackit even know what Rustypelt had said to her yesterday? Did she even know how much she'd been through? What she was going through now?

"I'm fine," she murmured shortly.

"I sort of like Bumblefrost, even though he was DayClan," Lilackit murmured thoughtfully, yellow eyes round with sadness. "The others were evil, but he's not so bad."

Whispersong tried to smile, but her jaw didn't seem to be working.

Lilackit blinked, then turned and left the den, leaving Whispersong alone. Whispersong squeezed her eyes shut tight as another wave of pain engulfed her, not physical pain from her kits, but emotional pain. Her father's words hurt more than any physical pain she'd ever experienced.

The den entrance rustled again, and Whispersong turned to see Echoheart peering inside. "How are you feeling?"

Whispersong tried to talk, but only a muffled noise came out, and her eyes misted again.

Echoheart looked pained at Whispersong's pain. Her deep blue eyes were round with sympathy, and her usually-sleek gray and tan tabby fur was matted. "They'll... they'll get better. You'll see."

"Yeah right," Whispersong choked.

Echoheart sighed. "Come on, let's get you something to eat."

Whispersong looked at her paws. "They won't let me."

"I'll let you."

Whispersong blinked, still hesitant.

"Come on," her sister urged quietly.

Whispersong nodded, then heaved herself weakly to her paws, her heavy heart weighing her down.

She stepped outside the nursery, blinking away the brightness. The clear blue sky shone above her, and a brisk leaf-bare breeze tugged at her fur. She shivered, then followed her sister carefully across the clearing.

Whispersong avoided every cat's eyes, not wanting to see their disappointment. She could tell every cat was staring at her, and self-consciously, she walked faster.

When they reached the fresh-kill pile after what seemed like forever, Whispersong secluded herself into the shadows, where her Clanmates were less likely to see her.

Echoheart dropped a finch at Whispersong's paws. "We can share this."

Whispersong nodded, words still not forming. She took a slow bite of her meal, hardly tasting it. She felt numb, and she didn't think she'd ever heal from the events of yesterday.