Chapter 10

Echoheart leapt over a frozen creek, Cherrypaw prancing beside her despite the chilling weather; the forest was thick with frost, and the low, gray clouds foreshadowed an incoming snowstorm.

Echoheart recalled last night with a shiver. Star's dream still perturbed her, especially since it was similar to Goldheart's dreams of darkness. What was on its way? More killings by Rainstar and her new plan? Or was it the danger finally arriving? Echoheart shuddered. She didn't want either of those things to happen.

"There's the Thunderpath!" Cherrypaw squealed, jerking Echoheart from her thoughts.

"Cherrypaw! Don't go any farther!" Echoheart snarled in fright as Cherrypaw sprinted right toward the hard gray Twoleg path. Cherrypaw skidded to a halt at Echoheart's shouting, tail twitching in curiosity. Echoheart sighed with both relief and annoyance. Her apprentice had only seen the Thunderpath once before; on her tour of DawnClan territory, and she didn't seem to remember that Thunderpaths were deadly. Echoheart padded up to her apprentice and murmured, "Cherrypaw, the Thunderpath is a dangerous, dangerous place, like I said last time we were out here. Cats have been killed by the monsters that speed along it."

"I know," Cherrypaw meowed. "Sagetail told us once when we were kits."

Echoheart nodded. "Anything to do with Twolegs is unpredictable and dangerous."

"I've never seen a Twoleg!" Cherrypaw blurted out.

Echoheart rolled her eyes. Did her apprentice ever listen to anything she said?

"Are they as tall and weird and scary as every cat says they are?"

"Yes," Echoheart replied with a sigh.

"I want to see them for myself!"

"You're mouse-brained to want to see a Twoleg. I'd give up all the prey on the fresh-kill pile to never see another one."

"Oh. Are they really that bad?"

"Yes," Echoheart muttered grimly. Suddenly the loud roaring of a monster filled her ears, and Echoheart hissed, "Cherrypaw, duck!" She crouched low in the tall grass beside the Thunderpath, her belly fur rubbing against the frozen, frosted dirt. Cherrypaw pressed herself against Echoheart, green eyes wide.

"What is it?" Cherrypaw exclaimed.

"A monster. Peek your head through the grass; just your head!"

The roaring echoed across the forest, and Echoheart felt a rush of dust and cold air as the monster sped past. Then its noise faded, just as quickly as it had started. Echoheart sat up in relief as it disappeared.

"That was a monster?" Cherrypaw whispered, green eyes wide with awe and fright as she backed out of the tall grass.

"Yes," Echoheart muttered. "They're strange creatures, only sticking to the Twoleg-made Thunderpath. Although, there have been reportings of monsters that have strayed from the Thunderpath, but it's rare." Echoheart shuddered. "Never, ever, underestimate a monster, or anything having to do with Twolegs. Got that Cherrypaw?" Echoheart asked sternly.

Cherrypaw nodded vigorously, still staring at the Thunderpath with shocked eyes.

"Good. If there's anything I want you to remember about the Twolegs, it's that."

Cherrypaw nodded. "I got it."

Echoheart blinked. Good. Now hopefully she remembers it, Echoheart sighed. But at least Cherrypaw looked scared enough to not go near the Thunderpath again.

"Let's go," Echoheart meowed. "We can't train near the Thunderpath."

Cherrypaw nodded, then the small red she-cat turned and bounded after Echoheart.