1

The sound of a loud crackle and thunder disintegrated my dream bubbles. I jolted awake, the sudden movement caused my bag of chips to splatter against the fur rug.

"Ah shit, my Doritos." I cursed, watching the mess I made then towards the TV with re-runs of Suits. Rolling my eyes, I reached for the remote on my side table to turn off the TV. Slamming the remote back on the table, I sighed. The thunder rumbled again, followed by rain pouring, slamming loudly against the roof.

After fumbling aimlessly for a bit, I pulled an oversized ugly sweater over my head and made my way downstairs.

I reached for the wine bottle over the counter and sat on one of the stools, pouring the liquid lazily into the glass I was using hours ago, swirling it around as I stared at the liquid moving like a tornado in slow motion. I stared at the floor to ceiling window across the loft. Flashbacks swirled around my head as I remembered holding my graduation scroll after completing law school, fighting my first case ever and winning it, saving up just enough to get my new place and a car.

And now, look at me.

I chewed my bottom lip, suppressing a whimper I could no longer hold—I burst into tears, ugly crying, sniffling, and sobbing. I covered my mouth, hoping maybe this time I would go to sleep without crying.

I am an attorney by profession, well, sorry, was, a really famous one actually. But, I quit. Looking back at it, life has been rough for the last 2 years ever since handing in my letter of resignation. I was pretty much draining my bank account slowly but surely. I looked around at the first penthouse that I bought and paid with cash, sobbing and shaking uncontrollably as I grabbed my wine glass from the counter, moving in small, pathetic steps as I walked into the lounge area.

I stopped at a particular piece of furniture and smoothed my cold fingers across the delicately carved wooden vase. I breathed in, ever so silently. When the tears subsided, I was filled anger, then guilt as I gripped the vase hard, my fingers shaking at its hold.

What I am doing, really? How did a famous attorney end up in such a washed up state?

The doorbell sounded and I snapped out of my daze, my lips slightly parted as I shifted my attention towards the door, took a quick glance at the clock that hung against the wall, then back at the door again. It was 3:50 in the morning, who the hell could it be? Did I order post mates in my sleep again?

The doorbell rang again. I began pacing towards the door, with my wine glass in hand. I closed an eye, the other looking into the peephole. There was a man in a white dress shirt half tucked in and half out of his pants, his hair disheveled and was dripping wet. The man was drenched from head to toe.

He proceeded in knocking against the door, causing me to jump a little, spilling some wine on my sweater. "Ah shit!" I cursed.

"I can literally hear you, will you please let me in? It's freezing out here."

"Who are you? What do you want?" I asked through the door.

"Lady, you put up a poster searching for a roommate, didn't you?" he asked. He looked directly into the peephole. His eyes were tired but that did not dull his features one bit—this stranger was really, like I mean really, good looking.

"Will you let me in once you're done eye raping me through the peephole?" he asked, tilting his head to the side, revealing his perfectly angled jawline.

"No I wasn't!" I squeaked.

"I was kidding. But not kidding about the weather, it's really cold out here." He tugged at the sleeves of his dress shirt. I unlocked the door and a couple of beeps went off. "Did you run away from a gun fight or something?" I asked as I saw got a closer look at his sleeves. I gasped. "Are you a wanted criminal or something?"