•° Chapter 06 °•

-
The book of Burial
-

Blake sat at home in his bed with his laptop in his lap searching things about his powers. The boy skipped going to the church with his family to stay home and do something important.

He looked up everything about the human body dealing with energy. "Hey-"

Blake slammed down his computer to see Jennifer as his door. "When did you guys get back?" He asked moving the laptop if his lap and setting it on the bed.

"A while ago. I just came up her to ask if you've seen Anissa?"

"Haven't seen her since yesterday, she's probably at her girls place." Blake shrugged.

"Probably, so how are you doing?" She asked. Blake looked at his little sister a little bit confused.

"I'm good. Why do you ask?"

"Well you just seem to be handling this entire situation really well." Jennifer says using her hands to talk.

"Well I'm not shocked." He shrugged again. "It was bound to happen, like seriously the people of Freeland call Dad Black Jesus. We we're basically born with a target on out backs. Something bad was bound to happen." Blake told his sister.

"Right.." Jennifer stares at her brother for a while. "Well anyways I gotta go." She waves and exits Blake's room.

The next night Blake was down stairs in the kitchen helping his mother prepare family dinner.

"Make sure to wash the broccoli." Lyn told her son.

"I know, I know." The boy says rolling up his arm sleeves.

Jefferson stood my the kitchen island and watched his son and wife prepared dinner with a smile on his face.

"Oh, Anissa's not just late, she isn't coming." Lyn informed the men in the kitchen.

"I'm not surprised." Jefferson walks over to the cabinets. "I haven't seen much of her lately."

"Well we raised her to be a strong and independent woman and it looks like we succeed." Lyn says focused on preparing the food. "Family dinner will be an intermittent priority." She says moving to check the oven.

"Blake is only one year away from college and Jennifer's only two, they'll stop coming too." Jefferson says.

"Your probably right." Blake says leaning against the counter.

"Yeah, they will." Lyn smiles at her boy. "You finished washing the broccoli?" Blake's nods. "Good now start cutting them."

"I'm wondering when they don't wanna eat with us either...." Jefferson moves to stand in front of Lyn and hands her a glass of wine. "Will you still show up to dinner with me?" He asked.

Blake grimaced in the back as he cut up the green vegetable.

"You know what I want?" Lyn asked. "I wanna stop worrying about you. I've spent too many nights seeing you broke and bleeding Jeff."

"Are we gonna do that right know..." Jeff stops as he sees Jennifer coming down the stairs. Both parents seemed to forget that Blake was in the kitchen with them.

"Anissa's not coming." Lyn tells her youngest daughter.

"Family dinners optional?" Jen asked her parents.

"Not for you, your still our little girl." Jeff says smiling.

"Well Anissa not coming sucks." Jen rolls her eyes.

"I second that." Blake says drying his hands.

"Language." Lyn scolds her youngest.

"Sorry. This turn of events is dispiriting as I wished for her support during this repast." Jen says in a well-mannered way totally unlike her usual self.

"Ha! What do you need support for?" Jeff asked his daughter taking a sip of his wine.

"I've decided that I'm ready to have sex." Jen says shocking her parents. Jefferson choked on his wine, Lyn went bug eyed.

Jennifer walks out of the kitchen. "Well this should be fun." Blake says smiling at his parents.

"Not right know Blake." Lyn says the goes to look at Jeff. "What did she say?"

Blake walks out of the kitchen following Jennifer to the dinning area.

{Scene Change}

Dinner was awkwardly, Jefferson barely touched his food. Blake sat back eating his pasta waiting for the show to start.

"Jennifer, your father and I are happy that you came to us like we've always encouraged you too." Lyn says braking the awkward silence at the table.

"So happy." Jeff whispers.

"And glad that you felt comfortable telling us." Blake chuckled as he drank his water watching the painful show in front of him.

"You at so young." Jeff says.

"How old were you guys?" Jennifer asked their parents. Blake looked at his parents for a reply. Neither said a thing. "Nevermind." Jen says laughing alongside Blake.

"Your mother and I, loved each other very much." Jeff says.

"Wait are you saying the first time you both had sex was with each other?" Jennifer asked confused by the point her father was trying to make.

"....No." Jeff answers

"We think it's very important that you have sex with the right person." Lyn tells her daughter.

"Okay. What about you Blake?" The boy beside her choked on his water.

"What?" He asked in-between coughs.

"How old were you when you had sex?" Jennifer turned to her brother.

"Oh.... I was no older than you on my first time." He says smiling back on the memory of his first time with Jackson. "It was really fun and painful. I had to pretend I was sick for two days because of how rough he was." Blake tells his sister bluntly.

"What?" Both Lyn and Jefferson looked at their son.

"Who is this guy?" Lyn asked.

"Calm down it wasn't a complete stranger, actually you guys know him." His parents glaced at each other worried. "He goes to Garfield and it doesn't matter know we're dating now."

"That Jackson guy?" Jennifer asked her brother who nodded his head.

"Jackson, Jackson King?" Jefferson asked finally remembering the boy his son's been handing around.

"Oh one more thing." Jen says. "Saturday is the day so I'll be out all afternoon but I'll be home by curfew."