《 Chapter Three 》

A while later the door opened again, but it wasn't Vader, instead the figure simple set down a tray and a stack of fabric, at the foot of the door and left. I walked over and found breakfast on the tray. So he wasn't planning on Starving me to death. I picked up the tray, and brought it over to one of the arm chairs.

I was starving, and quickly devoured the meal. But about half way through I stopped to think, who made this meal? How had Vader gotten a kitchen staff on Mustafar? Had he threatened their lives and forced them to come, like slaves? Or were they supporters of the Chancellor and his ways and had come willingly? I saw the first option as the more likely of the two, though it might have been one of the Clones, as that seemed a job too minor for a Sith lord.

When I finished eating, I went over and grabbed the pile of cloth, and as I had suspected, it was a new pair of clothes. I was greatful for this, since I had been wearing the clothes I had come to see Anakin in for what had to be at least two days, and they were beginning to smell. I took a bath, and then changed into them. It was nothing I would have worn on my own. A black v-neck dress, with flowing sleeves and a dark brown braided belt, it did however fit quite well, I wondered how that had been managed. More forced labor? I assumed so, it made me feel sick to think of it. This couldn't have been Vaders doing. He had been a slave, his mother had been too, for almost her while life, he hated slavery, and had wanted to end it, maybe he was paying them... but though I wanted to believe it, I still doubted it.

He had killed children, and his closest friend and father figure, things I had also not thought him capable of. Vader was everything Anakin had despised.

The new Empire, my new Empire, was getting stronger every day. Every day more of the galaxy bowed to the power of the Darkside. Every ruler, politician, and dictator that didn't comply was eliminated, and those who did where put under strict supervision to make sure their loyalties where in the right place, and stayed in the right place. I had the task of dealing with those who wouldn't be faithful to my new Empire. Each death at my hand was necessary, and a step closer to galactic harmony, under my rule.

But everyday also got closer to the day in my nightmares. And yet the Emperor still deemed me unready, he feared my power, and so he should. I couldn't wait till the time came were I could over throw him and take total control. But before all could be accomplished there was one more loose end to tie up. Padme.

She was stuborn and unmistakably loyal to the old twisted ways of the Jedi. But I knew that she could not hold on much longer, even now I could feel her longing for Anakin Skywalker, whom she still loved. I knew that if I could show her that everything I had done I had done for her, for our child, and for the good of the galaxy, she would turn.
I walked past the guards and they stepped aside to let me through. I placed my hand on the scanned and pushed the door open. I saw Padme sitting in one of the chairs seemingly having dozen off. I noticed that she was wearing the new dress I had instructed be made for her, and had tied her hair in a low bun. She sat up when I walked in, and looked right above my shoulder, not makeing eye contact.
"Vader," She said monotonely, I still wasn't used to her calling me that, and my fist tightened at the sound but I remained calm.

"Padme," I went over and sat in the chair next to hers, she stiffened uncomfortably. We sat in silence for a few minutes before she spoke.
"Do you remember on Tatoine, after your mother had died, when we got that message from Obi-Wan. You said that we couldn't help because you had strict orders-"

"Padme stop."

-to protect me? But I said that we needed to help Obi-Wan, and that I was going, and you didn't try to stop me."

"Stop!" I didn't want to remember, I didn't want her to continue cause I knew what was going to happen next. She didn't stop.

"You said he was like a father to you, and we both risked our lives to save him. That's when I confessed that I loved you for the first time, that's when I really knew I did."

I got up out of the chair, "Stop, I don't want to hear any more. That was the past!"

"Our past. We got married shortly after, remember? We were so happy and in love." Her face seemed lost in the memory, and her tone was hushed, barely above a whisper. "We can be happy again, Anakin, things can be just like they used to be, if you turn from this now, we can be happy together."
I noticed that she had called me Anakin again, not Vader, I heard the usual affection in her tone when she said it too. But I shook my head, if I turned back now, Padme would die, and I couldn't let that happen. If I turned back now the galaxy would turn back to it's corrupt ways, and the Jedi that had survived would come out of hiding and return to their old way. No, I couldn't turn back, not now, not ever.

"We can be happier here Padme-"

"On Mustafar? I will never be happy here."

"Then we can go back to Naboo, like you wanted, I can overthrow the Emperor and we can rule the galaxy together!"

She shook her head, and I saw a tear roll down her cheek, I threw my hands down in frustration, she was blinded by the Jedi even now. How long would it take her to see as I did?

"I'm going to have my dinner in the great hall. It will do you good to get out of the room." I declared after a good while. She didn't say anything, or even look my way, keeping her head down. "Will you come with me, or should I have the Clones escort you?"

"I don't need an escort." She said firmly, still not looking at me, but no longer hanging her head.

"But I don't trust you will not escape or loose your way without one watching you."

"Then I shall go with you." She said reluctantly, standing up and finally looking me in the eyes. I noticed the trace of tears still in her's. How long will I have to wait before my presence and ideology will not always bring her sadness?