Chapter 15

Atemu

   Air scorches my throat as it is finally permitted access to my body after what felt like an eternity. Tears stream down my cheeks as I clutch at my throat, the dull glow of sandstone contrasts the spit that fell from lips as I lie choking for breath on the floor of a place I don't recognize. There is a presence lingering just beyond my view. The intense desire to lie still and pray that this presence will simply pass over me like an unknowing hawk over a rabbits burrow is overwhelming. For the first time in my life I feel real fear, nothing as arbitrary as the childish fright I had been familiar with all my life, now I know what it feels like to fear for the flame of life buried in my chest as the hurricane lingers not far behind. 

   Once my breathing evens I fall into stillness, feigning death as I try to breath so slowly that the rising and falling of my body would be imperceptible. The chill of the stone bleeds my body of its heat, freezing me and warming as the dry heat of the desert is carried by a stray wind. I struggle to refrain from blinking, staring blindly forward, for no dead man is ever able to keep his eyes closed.

   "I know you are not dead, boy." His deep voice cuts through the air, gaining my attention but not rattling my bones like the other voice. "I mean you no harm." The clicking of heels echoes throughout the chamber as he moves within my peripheral vision, his boots are a dark blur out of the corner of my eyes. "Get off the floor, have some self-respect."

   Planting my hands beneath me I struggle to slowly push myself up onto my knees. My body aching in a way that i've never experienced. Every joint feels the need to pop and every muscle feels as if it has been wrung of all their strength. Once I reach my knees and my hands are firmly planted on the ground I look up at the man before me. My jaw drops slightly as the face of my father peers back at me with a veil of thin scars, some even appearing fresh along his jawline. His hair is black with streams of silver and eyes that glow like moonlight as his gaze pins me to the floor with the same regal dignity and intensity that I had always envied. 

   "Father?" I breathe.

   "Hardly." he scoffs. 

   "I...I don't understand." I shake my head as I find the last remnants of my strength to push myself to my feet. "Who are you? Where is my sister?" An amused smile crosses his face as he studies me. 

   "Suddenly you have such energy, clearly it's a family trait." He muses as he slowly circles forcing me to turn along with him, my legs clumsily holding up my weight as I followed his movement. "Who I am isn't important, but sweet boy since you have just made me a very happy man I am more than willing to take you to her."

   "You know my sister?" I ask apprehensively. The fear has yet to subside and the thought of this man being anywhere near my sister causes a sudden weight to drop in my stomach. I fight back the bile that claws its way up my throat as I think about the fresh cuts that trace his jawline, praying that they look nothing like scratches.

   "We are acquainted." he answers after a moments hesitation. I gasp slightly as he grips onto the back of my neck, pulling me close to him. "I knew in an instant who you were because of your beloved sister. Your resemblance is striking. I am willing to facilitate your reunion but you must first school your expression, boy." I gape at him as his silver eyes peer into mine, chilling my blood. "Your every thought is displayed on your face. You don't insult me but the look on your face will surely concern her, compose yourself in a manner befitting of your lineage, young fool."

   I grip onto his arm, digging my nails into the exposed skin of his forearm. He doesn't flinch as his skin slowly bleeds to white because of the pressure, his eyes never straying from mine. 

   "Lucky for you that you will never have to worry about my sister's feelings after this." He quirks an eyebrow. "For she and I won't be here long. I will do whatever it takes to bring us both home."

   "Interesting." He hums quietly, the amusement vanishing from his expression in seconds. "Then I shall wish you both safe travels." His grip on the back of my neck tightens, startling me as he pulls me roughly beside him. My feet stumble and trip over themselves as I struggle to keep up with his confident and assertive strides. His fingers glide from the nape of my neck to my hair, coiling his fingers harshly into my hair as he drags me into a corridor barely illuminated with small blue flames. 

   My hands jump to cover his, fighting the urge to pull his hand away for fear that he would simply rip out the hair he had a hold of. Something has shifted within him, that unusually calm demeanor has become something volatile, explosive. I sink my teeth into my bottom lip in an attempt to stop myself from showing any other displays of fear that would grant him anymore power over me. He pushes my head down forcing me to stare at my feet as he pulls me through the hallways taking sharp turns every now and then, flames of pain scorching my scalp as he mercilessly guides me through his maze. 

   Suddenly he comes to a screeching halt, thrusting me before him. A doorway of pure darkness stands before me and I decide that no matter what I will never go through it.  There is something evil about this place and I think I will be better off trusting my instincts over trusting the word of this stranger with my Father's face.

   "Your sister is right through there."

   "Is there no other way to get to her?" I question skeptically, peering over my shoulder at him. His expression is dark and unyielding, my answer evident in the dark glint of his eyes. "Alright then." I mutter. Taking a hesitant step closer to the door I consider calling out to my sister, perhaps she would be able to hear me. If this door really leads to her then who is to say that she wouldn't be able to call back to me? Taking a small intake of breath that is quickly released in a gasp as I pushed harshly through the darkness that envelopes me like a second skin before birthing me into a world of golden light. 

   My heart hammers against my ribs as I struggle to acclimate from the sudden shift of location. Bastard, I think bitterly as I fall back onto the ground and stare up at the startling blue pigments of the sky. This certainly seems like the type of world my sister would inhabit, the best of everything just as she deserves but refuses to admit. She has to be here, she just has to. I push myself up onto my feet and stumble over to the ledge, peering over the kingdom that I imagine Heba has always dreamed Egypt to be. No crime or famine, immaculate buildings, beautiful architecture, few guards. It's a utopia, perfect in every way.

  Movement to my right causes me to jump and my heart clenches tightly in my chest as I come face to face with my sister. She's unharmed and dressed like a goddess. I sob slightly as I pull her into my arms, holding her as close to me as I can. She limply returns my embrace, curling her fingers softly atop of my shoulders. The passiveness of her touch startles me enough to pull back and look upon her devastated face, tears brimming along the dark line of her lashes. 

   "Wha...What's going on, Heba? I thought you would be happy to see me."

   "I am..." She whispers. "But you never should have come." 

   "I don't understand." 

   "It's not safe here." She insists. "You need to leave this place." 

   "Then we should leave now." I reply, grabbing onto both of her hands firmly. 

   "You don't understand." She snaps. "You are the trigger for the danger, they were waiting for you to show up. You need to escape here before they see you."

   "What in the world are you talking about?" I snap incredulously. "You're not making any sense!"

   "You need to leave!" She insists, pleadingly.

   "I'm afraid it is too late for that my dear." A soft feminine voice floats through the air, light as a feather. Heba crumples slightly before me, her expression one of defeat as she stares down at the ground. "As you already know, sweet Heba, the trial has already begun."

   "What trial?"