chapter ninety-nine

as soon as my head hits my pillow, i reach for my phone and dial the only number i know to call in a situation like this. after five rings, the line falls silent and i turn my phone face down. of course he isn't going to answer, he's probably regretting the moments we shared right now. i don't know how to feel about the fact that nick left, and probably isn't coming back. i know i should be heartbroken, ive spent a year with the boy and he has been my everything for so long. i just can't get colby out of my mind, and i find myself worried about his feelings more than i am about nick's.

i groan before deciding to just put my thoughts to rest. i spend about an hour tossing and turning in my comfortable bed before i find my eyes slowly shutting, and my mind drifting off to a dreamlike state. i am never completely unconscious, just slightly less aware of my surroundings than normal.

my phone is ringing a little too loudly and i turn over, hoping to see colbys name on my screen. i am slightly let down when i see carolyn's instead, but i press the answer button anyways.

"hello?"

"hi, sorry if i woke you. i'm just calling to let you know that the release date for paralyzed has been pushed back to february 20th, rather than the twelfth."

"oh, alright. thank you for letting me know. is everything okay?" i ask, disappointed in myself. i know this has to do with my slip-up at the press conference yesterday, and i know it's my fault.

"yes, after yesterday we need a little bit more time to fix your imagine, and then we are good to go." i understand that i have to correct my image and all, but i've spent months saying february twelfth. it sucks that the date has to change, i'm disappointed in myself. being asked about colby on stage made me lose my composure, and to be professional means to keep your calm in situations like that. i guess i am still getting used to being put on spot like that.

"okay, and i'll still see you tomorrow right?"

"yes ma'am!" she speaks enthusiastically and i giggle. i say my goodbyes and hang up, and note that it is already nine in the morning. i practically force myself out of bed and decide to make the most of my semi-good mood and take a quick shower before my thoughts get the best of me and i find myself sprawled out on my bed on the verge of tears.

i feel like an idiot, kissing colby after all these years. he hasn't returned my call from last night, but i'm not surprised. i am sure he's regretting our night together just the same. i am sure that he has already decided to never speak to me again. i feel careless for throwing away my love with nick for colby—who doesn't love me the way i deserve to be loved. i think the way he acted last night had to have been pretend, because there's no way he could be so good. if he really was everything i'd ever dreamt of him being, he would've answered my call.

as if my prayers are answered, my phone erupts in a loud buzzing noise on my bedside table and i quickly reach to grab it. when i see julia's name, i am less than enthused but answer it nonetheless.

"hello?" i call out to silence, my voice weak from the crying. "do you want to drive me to go get my car from the club? jake offered but... i figured you might need to rant..." she trails off as she explains why she is asking me to help her, but i couldn't say no. it was my choice to have colby drive her home, so of course i'd drive her to get her car—despite the fact that i desperately don't want to rant. i don't want to have to talk about how my life fell apart last night, and how i thought it had been made instead.

"of course, want me to come now?" i ask and wait for her response. i can hear her rustling around on the other end, but i just sit patiently in silence. "yeah, that's cool. see you in a few?" she asks and i assure her of my soon-to-be presence and hang up. it takes a giant push of energy to get myself out of my bed, but i do it for julia.