Chapter II: Quirk Assessment Test

UA's athletic uniform was far more comfortable than those required for the classroom setting. They were loose fitting, allowing room to breathe, and the material was less irritating to the skin than the stifling cotton button ups and hot blazers. Mr. Aizawa had gathered Class 1A beneath the sun behind the main building. (L/N) stalked at the outer edge of the group, a few meters away from the rest of the class who had grouped together next to several chalk circles that had been drawn on the dirt and gravel ground.

The announcement of a quirk assessment test caught the class off guard. Bakugo had scored the highest on the entrance exams and was thus called forward from the group. Aizawa handed him a softball and instructed him to throw it as far as possible. No limits on the use of his quirk, he just had to stay within the boundaries of the chalk circle. A loud explosion accompanied Bakugo's throw. The backdraft caused the wind to whistle fiercely in everyone's ears, and even standing so far away, (L/N) could feel the heat from the explosion on his face. 705 meters.

The idea of being able to use their quirks to their full extent excited everyone. Finally, a chance to really cut loose and show what they were made of. But Mr. Aizawa was quick to stomp out their childish enthusiasm. He lectured them on the country's societal flaws. How those with the most power were kept from excelling, held back by the Ministry of Education to keep everyone moving at the same pace. But here at UA there were no such tethers.

"All of you need to know your maximum capabilities. It's the most rational way of figuring out your potential as a pro hero." He informed them. "Today you'll compete in eight physical tests to gauge your potential. Whoever comes in last has none and will be expelled immediately."

The classes earlier excitement was replaced with determination. Their teacher was right. This wasn't the time for fun and games. It was time to prove themselves. Prove that they had what it took to become pro heroes. Everyone was eager to step forward. To stand out from the rest. And still, (L/N) lurked in the background.

He turned his body away from the group, a dark shadow passing over his face. Aizawa was a fool. Those with the most power were not guaranteed to excel, because power did not equate excellence. The Ministry of Education placed these restrictions because power required checks and balances. Power demanded control. Without it, all that would exist is chaos. But even his teacher seemed to be under the impression that power meant potential.

'Maximum capabilities' he'd said. That's what this test was about. Gauging the class's maximum potential. But what do you do when you don't have a maximum? At least, not one that can be measured. Not without causing immense damage. (L/N) had the burden of knowledge that none of his classmates, nor even his teacher seemed to have. Power came with consequences. Power was dangerous. And his power? His power was not one that should be allowed to exist.

"Show me it's no mistake that you're here."

This made (L/N) scoff bitterly. This was all just a test. A test with meaningless threats to ensure everyone performed at their highest caliber. But (L/N) wasn't falling for it. He wouldn't play Aizawa's game. He couldn't afford to. It was too dangerous. Aizawa didn't set any rules because he wanted to see everyone at their strongest. But (L/N)'s life hinged on rules. It depended on control. His body was teeming with power and if he lost control for even a moment, people would die. Still, he had to cooperate. Aizawa wanted to see his quirk, fine. But he'd make his own rules. Rules to ensure he didn't hurt anyone.

The first of the eight physical tests was a fifty-meter dash. Then grip strength followed by the standing long jump, repeated side steps, the ball throw, a distance run, sit ups, and finally the seated toe touch. The other students of Class 1A seemed determined to outshine their fellow students. Everyone's quirk seemed to be suited for at least one of the tests. Tenya Iida for example, was easily the highest ranked in the distance run and fifty-meter dash. Minoru Mineta outpaced all other repeated sidestep times, and Mezo Shoji had a crushing strength of 540 kilograms. It seemed everyone had at least one outstanding score in one or more of the tests. They were at an advantage. They didn't have to worry about hurting someone every time they used their quirks.

Compared to the average teenager, (L/N)'s physique was above average. His time for the fifty-meter dash was under six seconds, and he could easily do one hundred sit ups in the two minutes they were allotted. Still, UA wasn't a school for average teenagers. If he was to compete with his classmates, he would have to give himself a boost. He would have to choose the best time to use it though. The grip strength test seemed like the safest option. He would use his quirk to bolster his strength. No room for someone to get hurt, so long as he didn't hit anyone. He slowed his breathing, curling and uncurling his fingers around the handle of the dynamometer. He inhaled deeply and felt the power course through his right hand, now glowing with a white light. He was careful to maintain control as he tightly gripped the handle. The light died as he exhaled, and the heat in his hand left.

215 kilograms.

Not the strongest, but in the top three. He considered adding some additional power to his pitch on the softball throw, but felt it was too risky. Besides, he didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention. He had one good score. That was all he needed.

"All right, time to give you your results."

After the last students had completed the long-distance run, Mr. Aizawa regathered his students next to the fifty-meter dash track. Just like at the beginning of the day, (L/N) stood at the back of the group, arms crossed.

"I've ranked you all from best to worst. You should probably have a good idea of your standing already. I'll just put up the whole list. It's not worth going over each individuals' score."

There was a moment of anticipated silence as a projection appeared before the class, displaying each students' name and their corresponding rank assigned to them by Mr. Aizawa. Though he couldn't see it, the name (F/N) (L/N) appeared seventh down from the top of the list. A little higher than he had been aiming, but hopefully not enough to draw any attention.

"And I was lying, no one's going home. That was just a rational deception to make sure you gave it your all in the tests."

Class 1A released a collective sigh, some of relief, others of disbelief. (L/N) simply scoffed and turned away. This whole thing was a waste of his time. A ridiculous joke, one that he was not amused by. The person that recommended him for the hero course had obviously made a mistake. Whatever this school was offering wasn't for him. He turned his back on Aizawa and the other students and began to walk away. He didn't expect that he'd return.