Chapter IX: Overload

Izuku Midorya wasn't the last person (L/N) would have expected to be elected class representative, but he certainly wasn't the first. He wasn't the second, nor was he the third for that matter. But alas, when the votes were tallied, it was he who stood shaking at the front of the class. A much more composed Momo Yaoyorozu was standing next to him as the runner up and therefore vice-representative. He was glad to know that his confidence in her managed to help in some small way at the very least, even if it wasn't quite what she wanted. Though he had to admit, why she wasn't standing as their newly elected class representative was not something he understood. She was the logical choice. She was certainly more qualified than Midorya at any rate. But for whatever reason people seemed to gravitate towards him. Perhaps it was his amicable personality or maybe he had left a lasting impression from his match with Bakugou. Regardless, his classmates liked him. The only person that really took any issue with his appointment to class rep was Bakugou, and perhaps Yaoyorozu herself, on account of her wounded pride.

The problem was, Midorya didn't exactly have what it took to be a leader. He was smart, yes. Logical, analytical, and empathetic. He had potential, but at that moment in time, that was all it was. He lacked the decisiveness and confidence in his own abilities that was required of a leader. And that indecision could prove quite the detriment when faced with situations that demanded split second decisions. (L/N) recognized that fact, and so it appeared, did Midorya, because he hadn't even held the position for six hours when he elected to turn it over to Tenya Iida.

A wise decision. Or so (L/N) thought. The engine hero in training had proven himself far more capable under stressful situations. He had demonstrated as much during lunch hour just a few hours after the election. (L/N) never frequented the school cafeteria for two reasons. First, the large collection of people and subsequent chatting served as an annoying buzzing presence, even while his senses were being dulled by the blue and white capsules. And second, though reserved for UA students, the food in the cafeteria did not come free of charge, and (L/N) had no money to speak of. Consequently, he spent his free period roaming the quiet halls or soaking up the sun's rays while lying in the grass. On that particular day however, Momo Yaoyorozu had spotted him in the hallways, she herself having had to use the restroom before lunch, therefore lagging behind the rest of Class 1A whom had already gathered in the cafeteria, no doubt.

"(L/N)?" She asked, spotting his retreating figure. "Hey, wait." She said as she increased her pace to catch up to him. "How have you been feeling?"

"What?"

"Since last Friday." She specified, falling into step beside him. "Have you had any more headaches?"

"Headaches?" He asked, caught off guard by her concern for him. "No. No, I'm okay."

The two came to a stairwell. Yaoyorozu turned in the direction of the descending stairs but stopped when she noticed (L/N) headed up.

"Where are you going?" She asked. "The cafeteria's on the ground floor."

"Not hungry." He said dismissively, continuing upstairs.

Yaoyorozu turned to follow him. "You could always come socialize." She suggested. "I'm sure our classmates would be very interested in better acquainting themselves with you."

"No, thank you."

"What if I buy you lunch." She offered.

He stopped, then turned towards her. "I said I wasn't hungry."

"That's not what your stomach is saying." She said knowingly.

As if to prove her point, his stomach gave a loud rumble. He considered her offer. He hadn't eaten breakfast that morning, and though he could continue to deny his hunger, his stomach would sell him out. His sense of smell, still much more sensitive then most even while dulled by the drugs, was picking up on the scent of Lunch Rush's cooking. But still...

"I don't like the idea of you paying for me." He said.

"It's no trouble, really." She said. "I have more than enough money." She looked him over. He still wasn't moving. "If it's really this much of an issue, consider it a trade." She said. "I'll pay for your meal, but in exchange, you have to sit with me and the others. Let them inside that wall you've put up."

He turned his head slightly in her direction. He was still internally battling with himself. His hunger raging a war with his logic. He knew he hadn't been subtle in his demeanor, but that was the point. He didn't want anyone to get too close and finding out about his past. At the same time though, his stomach was so empty and growling so loudly that his own body was beginning to give him a headache. In the end, his stomach won out. He sighed, which Yaoyorozu took as him accepting her offer. She looped her arm through his to act as his guide and began leading him to the ground floor.

They were only a few corners from the cafeteria when the campus alarm systems began blaring. (L/N) dropped his cane at the sudden sound of the piercing shriek and nearly dropped to his knees, his hands pressed firmly over his ears. Yaoyorozu dropped down to help him back to his feet, but then what seemed to be the entire student population came barreling down the hallway towards them. The two were swept up in the sea of panicked students, jostled around by the crowd. (L/N) brought his arms up to shield his head as he was bunted around, back and forth between the many bodies. The noise of everyone's overlapping footsteps, the smell of everyone's lunch mixed with their sweat. He was beyond overwhelmed. It was swallowing him. He had to escape. With a pained yell, he launched himself sideways, crashing straight through one of the windows. His body slowed as he fell, the glass shards passing by him and shattering on the ground, and he shot off towards the empty fields, his body enveloped by a white light.

He crashed into the ground, too shaken for a proper landing. From the main buildings he could hear Iida's voice above all else, and he listened to him take charge of the situation as he swallowed down another three pills.

Yes, Iida certainly was more qualified for the position than Midorya. His classmates though, seemed less concerned with his qualifications and more about the fact that Midorya had vouched for Iida. Really, what had Izuku done that caused the others to put so much faith in him and his decisions? (L/N) supposed something must have happened while he wasn't paying attention. A likely scenario, given he avoided his classmates as much as possible. Still, based on Iida's system which the whole class had unanimously agreed upon, it would have made more sense for Yaoyorozu to become class rep, and for Iida to take the position of vice-representative. At least, that's what (L/N) would have preferred. But perhaps he was a bit biased.

A few days after the media had managed to bypass the school's security and swarm the campus, Mr. Aizawa announced that they would be having another hero training exercise.

"Today's training will be a little different." He told them. "You'll have three instructors. Me, All-Might, and another faculty member will be keeping tabs on you."

Sero raised his hand. "Sir, what kind of training is this?"

"Rescue." Aizawa said. "You'll be dealing with natural disasters, shipwrecks, stuff like that."

As per usual, Class 1A immediately dissolved into excited chatter and eager anticipation. Even (L/N) found himself somewhat looking forward to the day. Maybe he would finally learn how to apply his quirk in ways that didn't risk injuring another person. After all, that's why he was there. Why he'd stuck around for so long. In hopes of learning how to save people. Learning how to repay his debt.

"Guys, I'm not finished yet." Aizawa said, silencing the class. "What you wear in this exercise is up to you. I know you're excited about costumes..." he pressed a button on a remote and their hero costumes slid out of the wall, packed away in their containers, "but keep in mind you haven't gotten used to them yet and they might limit your ability. This special training is on an off-campus facility, so we'll be taking a bus to get there. That's all. Start getting ready."