First Kiss

A/N

This is a contest entry. The highlighted words are the prompt.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way, yet it did.

I had been planning my first kiss ever since I was old enough to understand what it was to be kissed and much more keenly once I turned sixteen. It would be with someone whom I liked with a romantic background, preferably with a lot of trees around, cool breeze causing goosebumps on my skin and an army of butterflies dancing in my tummy.

A year and a half later, I never pictured the identity of the special someone to amend to my best friend, Alex.

Slowly, I realised that I'm in love with my best friend. My realisation did not change anything between us, but effectively put a lid on my everlasting wish to get kissed. I wondered if it would get fulfilled at all.

I never knew I could carry such explosive feelings. Sometimes, I was even ashamed of these perverse thoughts but was helpless.

As the days went by, my frustration grew, and I became anxious.

I didn't know what to do with this crazy, stupid love. It became a double-edged sword. Though I wanted to be with Alex all the time, it was equally painful to carry the burden of these feelings and be cheerful around all my other friends.

Love is such an intimate feeling between two people. In my case, since the other person was unaware, my love gradually became irrevocable perhaps somewhat of an impossible ideal.

At this juncture, a new boy Tim moved into our locality and our school. He was the perfect definition of calm and sweet. He was not a sportsperson or a nerd, but somewhere in between.

The whole of our group was the same as we were not familiar or social outcasts.

We were a healthy mix of friends with above-average grades, varied interest in sports and enjoyed the school by being invisible.

I still remember his first day as he looked for a free space to eat his lunch at the school cafeteria. Before he could become the target of all the curious stares, bullying and signs of unwelcome, I swooped in to save the day.

We did share a couple of classes earlier, and I knew he was new.

"Hey there, Tim isn't? Want to join us?"

He was relieved to find a known face. Then swiftly joined us, and before he sat down, he uttered a small 'Thank you'.

I made quick introductions, "Tim? This is Sam, Jules, Alex, Kyle and Taylor."

My motley crew of friends strangely had unisex names, including mine. After a brief pause, while he made himself at home, all of us bombarded him with questions.

"Where are you from?"

"How come you moved here?"

"What classes are you taking?"

"Are you single?"

"Do you play any sport?"

"Where do you stay?"

Tim blinked twice but appreciated our unreserved acceptance. He then said something that caught our collective tongues, "I'm not from one place. I was born at the back of a truck. My parents are hippies and wanted a change of scene, so we ended up here!"

We gaped at him with rounded eyes.

He briefly chuckled at our expressions, "Speechless? Even better!"

"Coming to my story, my dad is in the military. After my mom passed away, he took a desk-job, but frequently changed bases. I was born in an army camp. Don't ask the location, because I seriously don't know. I'm always single because of the sort of life I have. Trust me! It's not by choice. I used to play basketball. But right now, not into sports anymore. I stay around the corner, just five minutes away from here. I'm straight and ride a bike if you are interested."