Fade To Black

Do you know what happens when a web series goes viral? Fans are born!

Fans across the country talked about Sri on almost all social media platforms.

Sri wasn't in love yet. But would be, soon. Some of his super fans were waiting for that moment with bated breath while some of them don't want it to happen. He was a fictional character on the web-series, Dial S for Sri.

In one episode of the show, Eshan had come home from work. He looked toward his leather recliner with longing, but there was no time to indulge. He owned a couple of them, lucky finds at the thrift shop. He reupholstered them with genuine leather fabric that costed a bomb, yet it was a good investment.

He often enjoyed some quality me-time where his flat had to be dark, his lotion calamine-scented, and his hands clean. After a long, grueling day at work, there was nothing better than changing into sweats, turning on soothing music, and cleaning his loungers with that calamine-scented lotion.

It was his tiny little secret. He felt it was an embarrassing trait for a masculine man like him. But Eshan loved his one BHK (Bedroom, Hall, Kitchen) flat to be squeaky and shiny, especially his couches. He cleaned to unwind, sometimes to control his emotions or to sort his thoughts.

At around six that evening, when the doorbell rang, Eshan was busy getting things ready for the evening's party. Wondering who had turned up so early, he grumpily went to the door. It was Nathan. 

"I'm here to help you," he said with a smile. 

"How much can you possibly do all by yourself." Holding forward a single rose that had a long, slender stalk, he bowed dramatically. 

"Congratulations. For now, you could stop being jealous," he sneered. 

Eshan knew that the emphatic 'all by yourself' was hardly intentional, but it bothered him.

It was the best cover for his tiny secret, yet he thought that Nathan suspected. Eshan retrieved a recycled jam bottle, filled it with water and dropped the rose with care unaware of Nathan's watchful eyes.

"Everything is ready, Nat. I bought the junk food, cooked the rice and the chicken..."

"Set the mattresses to crash for the night, and even lined the garbage bins with fresh garbage bags, I see. You are thorough, Shana."

Eshan rolled his eyes, "That's contingency. I don't want a repeat of last time."

Nat, as usual, ignored Eshan at the sight of the recliners.

"Ah, the couches. Shiny and spotless as always," he exclaimed when he sprawled on one.

"Remove your damn shoes and wear those house chappals asshole," Eshan called out from the kitchen.

"I love your loungers. There is something in it that always makes me lazy and sleepy. May be its magic, or just the smell. I could as well nap before everyone shows up," Nat said, standing up reluctantly to get rid of his shoes. He had an overnight bag that he placed in the Godrej bureau next to the entrance door.

Eshan peeked to see if Nat had used the assigned rack and went ahead with his cooking. He found the bureau at the same thrift shop, and it was a brilliant idea to keep his friends' luggage if they had any.

"So much for helping me?" he teased after he tossed the marinated chicken and other veggies into the oven, but found Nat asleep.

With his dark hair and plump lower lip, Nat looked like Shahid Kapoor but was much taller. He lay with his ankles crossed, his hands supporting his head. His shirt was sloppily untucked. Eshan could see the outline of his penis in the leg of his pants. It lay along his thigh like a soft sausage. By the time he caught himself ogling, the doorbell rang, jerking Nat awake. Eshan looked away flustered, at his unsolicited thoughts and stumbled to open the door.