Chapter 3 - Understanding

Amelia hated the silence and the loneliness. It paved the way back to her old memories. Memories that she wanted to forget. She had always been alone. Her father was too busy to care for her, and her mother had been long dead. Amelia was told that her mother died due to blood loss, during her birth. Amelia hated that her mother died, she hated being hated by others, and most of all, she hated herself.

Her mother was not of nobility. The Queen was originally a poor tavern-keeper in an impoverished town. She met the King when he returned from a diplomatic mission and stayed at the tavern for the night. It was then that the king fell in love with her, and dragged her away from the poverty-stricken town. He forced the title of Queen onto her head and forced her to give birth to his heir. But Amelia was not that. She caused the death of the Queen, and she will be unable to ascend to the throne. She was a failure. In the King's mind, Amelia was no more than a nuisance, a distraction, an embarrassment.

Amelia returned from her reverie. She was in that old wooden shack again. Although she could not feel the wind, the sound of the wooden boards swaying was deafening. The drizzle that had persisted for weeks without end, has finally come to an end. The sky had cleared, and the air was fresh.

Where was Kane? Was he out on a walk again? Over the last few days, Kane has become much more distant. He would not initiate conversations; instead, he would only look at Amelia as if waiting to see her move. When she was inactive, he would look away as if losing interest.

Stretching, Amelia got back onto her feet. She looked over herself. Nothing had changed since she arrived. She did not seem older. Her clothes were seemingly clean. And her hair, still retaining the gloss, as if newly washed. Time seemed to stop here. It was like she did not exist. It was like she was viewing this world from the eye of God.

A basket in front of the house rustled. It shook again. Curiously, Amelia walked towards the entrance of the shack. The lid of the basket popped off, and from within jumped out a black and white cat. Warmth spread through Amelia's heart, as she reached out to pet the curious little animal. Her hands glided through the body of the cat. Although no contact was made, the kitten's hair suddenly sat straight up. It's back arched and it hissed in Amelia's direction. Without warning, it leaped from the basket and agilely darted at full speed in the direction of the wealthier part of town.

Amelia took no time to hesitate and ran after the queer little animal. Her golden locks of hair, bouncing behind her back as she dated after the cat through small allies. When they arrived at a dead end, the cat nimbly climbed the crumbling stone wall and disappeared to the other side.

Amelia stopped her hands on her knees, panting as she tried to catch her breath. She looked around. Nothing seemed familiar; the winding roads had taken her to a part of the kingdom which she did not know. She wandered the empty streets aimlessly, looking through the windows; into the life of the people. Her people.

As she turned a corner, she heard gentle sobbing, followed by cheap words of comfort. She had arrived at the cemetery. A vast amount of land, where grass doesn't grow, where birds don't sing, where the people still alive wept. The property was marked with grey, jagged stones protruding from the ground. There amid death and despair, sat a woman confronted by a nobleman. His cheap words were laced with wanting, need, and lust.

Amelia walked closer and stood a distant distance, staring at the scene unfolding in front of her. She could feel the concentration of emotions in women. Tiny dots of blue were amassing onto the weeping figure of the women . Even from the distance, Amelia could feel the widow's sadness, her loss. Amelia could feel a distant heartache. Her heart pounded against her tightening flail chest, and tears threatened to appear in the corners of her eyes. Forcing them back, Amelia could do nothing but look on.

The noblemen soothed the widow, sliding his vile hand across her back and holding her at the waist. His honey-covered words slipped into the women's ears and spiraled to create a warm blanket around her.

"My husband....he suddenly disappeared in the middle of the night....then the next day he was found dead, torn away by wild beasts," the widow said between sobs, "thank you very much for bringing him back to me Count Vito."

Her husband disappeared? Was ripped apart by wild beasts? A memory from a week back floating back into Amelia's mind. She seemed like a wild beast. Beasts disguised as human beings while committing inhuman acts. She remembered that man. Brutally chopped apart by soldiers, while the crowd of the privileged cheered on. Rage replaced sadness. Her blood began to boil, and her fist clenched into a violent fist.

"It's nothing, my dear," said Vito, his voice as smooth as silk, "if anything you are free to work for me at my estate. I treat all my servants fairly. They get wages, food, and shelter."

"Please, that sounds wonderful."

"Then it's done," murmured the Count, his eyes glistening maliciously," I'll leave you be for now. After you finish collecting your belongings, you are welcome to come to my mansion."

With that Count Vito, walked away to his carriage, leaving the broken widow to weep and drown in her sorrow.

Royalty, What a bunch of rubbish. Isn't it the responsibility of the upper class to provide and look after those under their rule? If so, then why engage in entertainment through the Abyss? Why must they satisfy their craving with unspeakable acts of evil? Why is a person like that the king?

Thoughts rolled through her head, while her face betrayed no emotion. Her body still, like the water of the dead sea. A firm, warm hand clasp her wrist, and a calm voice whispered into her ears.

"Let it go"

And like that, the spell put onto her was broken. Amelia blinked and turned around to face Kane. His face stoic, making him look more mature. He turned away, but the moment before, Amelia could have sworn that a smile had appeared on his face.

Letting Kane lead her, they strolled back to the beaten little house. Sitting down on the ground she organized her thoughts. Mentally storing all negative emotions in neat cabinets, to view at another time.

"You are just like her," whispered Kane in a nearly inaudible voice.

"Like who?"

No answer was given, followed by silence.

Kane stood up and stared intently at Amelia's face.

"Do you want to change this kingdom"

"Change it.....?" answered Amelia wearily, "I don't have the power to do that. I can interact with the physical world. I am no more than a ghost."

"She had the power to change this world," responded Kane, his eyes shining with excitement, " but her body was too weak to support the weight of the responsibility."

"But you are different." said Kane," You are young and are physically and mentally strong."

"Her daughter?"

"Yes, her only daughter"

"My mother came to this plane?" asked Amelia, taken aback by this sudden proclamation," where is she now."

"She was unable to support the tool used to free the kingdom. So she disappeared. She had gone to where the dead were supposed to go."

"Tell me about her."

"This is going to take some time," declared Kane with a sigh," thinking about this always brings back bad memories. Especially since you look so much like her."

He sat down in front of Amelia and started telling her of his past. As he spoke, time passed quickly. The sun had turned to the moon, and by the time he finished, there was only silence.