Chapter 5 - Darkness

Each of the three fragments is capable of logic-defying powers. The crescent moon blade - that Amelia had obtained - allows for almost instantaneous travel at the speed of light.

She would be able to travel around the countryside in search of the tavern with this newly obtained power.

The wind started to pick up outside, and rain started drizzling down. The sky turned a dark shade of grey, and the walls of the shack shook. Amelia did not want to be out in this weather, but she wanted to complete the artifact as quickly as she can.

Taking out the crescent moon, Amelia prepared to go search for the tavern. Like always, Kane was long gone when she woke up. He never told her where he went, and she never asked.

Amelia walked to the entrance where the wind gushed in like a flood and peeked outside. The shrill howl of the wind was deafening, and the cold drops of rain seemed to cut at her delicate skin. Wait, cold drops of rain? How is she able to feel the coldness of rain or the gust of wind? Did acquiring the fragment bring her a step closer to the living world?

Does that mean people could see her?

Amelia, filled with hope, ran along the street to the nearest lighted building. She could hear the chatter inside; it was a rundown little bar. The stank of cheap beer and blinding clouds of smoke greeted her as she entered the little bar. Crowds of drunk men sat at the tables, singing, telling stories, and socializing. Ignoring it all, she walked towards the bartender.

"Can I have some water?"

There was no answer. He merely walked through her.

Despair once again flooded her heart. She was dead. That was all there was to it. There was no way to get back to the world of the living. The only thing she was capable of doing now was to search for the remaining 2 relics and create a better world from her side.

Having no tears to shed, Amelia once again determined, rushed out of the bar, and ran towards the castle gates. Her face a bright cherry red, from the sudden physical exertion. Slipping past the gates, Amelia went down a familiar route to the castle's grand library.

The cold stoned paved way to the warm, well lit, nostalgic library. The books were spread out along the walls and were stacked up to the ceiling. Amelia reached out her hand to take out a book; for it to merely pass through.

Of course, there was no way she could touch the physical object. Her bravado crushed, Amelia started to move out of the library.

But something caught her eye, just as she was about to pass through the entrance. A mess of paper and open books was sprawled out on the stone floor.

Amelia walked over and looked down on the various documents. Taxes that commoners have to pay, land that various landowners own, and a list of diplomatic missions. Diplomatic missions? Amelia ran her eyes across the page and spotted a travel log that the king had kept. The king had written that he had passed through the small village of Azmar on the way back from establishing a peace treaty with the neighboring kingdom. This was the only log that depicted the king staying in an area smaller than a city.

This must be it.

Taking ahold of the crescent moon, which appeared before her. She whispered in a hopeful voice.

"Lend me your power, and take me to the village of Azmar."

As if it understood, the moon started to hum and vibrate. When Amelia opened her eyes again, she was no longer in the grimy city. A vast plane suddenly spread before Amelia. Crops as tall as her head, brushing they're fine tips against her cheeks. The smell of wildflowers wafted towards her. The gentle wind flowed through Amelia's golden locks. With every step she took, Amelia could feel the fresh, loose soil, giving away under her feet.