Three weeks earlier

Adriana stood in front of her desk, sorting through all her student's papers

Adriana stood in front of her desk, sorting through all her student's papers. She noticed the stares of anticipation from her students who awaited their grades but didn't make a move to speak.

D, B, C, A, A, A, B, C, and that was only half of it.

Overall, the scores weren't so bad. Could they be better? probably. Her eyes caught the ones of the class clown, catching his ill-hid anxiousness.

"Well, you guys didn't do terrible" The sighs of relief rang through the classroom, the tense air floating away as if it was never there.

"I will be passing out your scores, and if you want credit recovery or extra credit opportunities come to me."

Shortly after passing out the test, she went back to her desk and took notice of the numerous notifications on her phone.

She paused before looking back up at her students. "Take the time and use it as your work period. There's nothing to do today."

She scrolled through the notifications, noticing the emails from the county and some texts from her best friends. The one that caught her attention, though, was the one from the principal regarding the superintendent.

"Crap."

$$

"You needed me?"

Adriana tentatively walked into the board room, noticing the eager grins on all of her superior's faces.

"Ms. Navarez, come in."

Adriana trod into the room, gently shutting the door behind her. The school's principal, Mrs. Antoinette, gestured to the seat closest to the door, a welcoming smile gracing her lips.

Wringing her hands together, she desperately wished for her pounding heart to settle. Taking her seat, the room fell into a hush, waiting for the superintendent to begin.

Adriana was not familiar with the superintendent but met her once or twice. She was an even-tempered woman, but Adriana always overheard gossip about her. Bad ones.

"I can feel the nervous energy in the room, so I'll get right to it. We're opening a new charter school in the area and we want a few of you to be a part of the administration."

Adriana felt her settle, the nervous feeling brewing in her stomach shifting into an eager excitement. "Oh my god." She muttered, a heavy sigh floating past her lips.

"'Oh my god' is right, Navarez. This is why we want to make you the head of the literature division at The Harbor view institute."