t h r e e

My eyes were drawn from hers to another table in the middle of the room. Three girls were sitting at it. Two blondes and a brunette. The honey blonde girl was wearing a light blue jean jacket over a light pink shirt. The pockets on the jacket were light green, and there was a pink stripe surrounding the bottom of the jacket. To top off her outfit, she was wearing a multi-color skirt, which went just above her knees. They were all wearing heels, except for the girl in the middle of them, and her heels were yellow, spinning around her ankles like a ballerina. She was carrying a purse which was silver and holographic. My eyes fluttered to one of the other girls. The chocolate brown brunette had her hair in a half-up half-down hairstyle. She was wearing a light blue shirt with an illustrated parrot in the top right corner of it. The sleeves and collar were laced with stripes of green, red, and pink. She was also wearing a plaid skirt of white, blue, black, and yellow colors, held up by a blue belt. Her heels matched her light blue shirt and had a strap covering her foot. Like the blonde, she was carrying a purse too. However, hers was light blue in a box shape, covered in a myriad of accessories, like a rainbow ribbon. And then the last one. The platinum blonde. She was stunning, I can't lie. I mean, they all were. She was wearing a flowy white tank top, which had multiple straps covering the top of the shirt. She was also wearing some white jeans, which matched her tank top perfectly. To go with the white theme, she was wearing white boots, which went up a bit higher than her ankles. Wow.

"Who are they?" I asked, looking at them.

"Oh! Nope!" Damian grabbed my arm and dragged me away.

"What?" I asked.

"They're the plastics." He said.

"What?" I asked again.

"They're cold, hard, shiny, fake plastic," Janis said.

"I'm confused," I said.

"Have you ever gone to school?" Janis asked.

"Yeah, I mean-"

Janis scoffed, "And you've never come in contact with a plastic?" She asked.

"I mean, no," I said, getting quieter.

"God, what kind of school did you go to?" She quirked an eyebrow.

"A private school." I semi-whispered.

"Please tell me you aren't a," her voice morphed into an imitation of a British accent, "posh, privileged child."

"No!" I looked down, "No, not at all."

"I didn't even have friends at my old school." I managed a small laugh as I stared down at my feet.

"They're basically teen royalty," Damian said.

"So, they're popular?" I asked.

"Yeah, but they aren't your usual slut-faced scum-sucking dirty-ass bitches." Janis said.

My eyes widened at her use of words. I wasn't used to this. At my old school, you'd never hear a word like that. At my old school, we were always taught to be respectful and use "proper" vocabulary. My old teachers would've hated Janis. Lucky me, I'm not like my old teachers. No, I hated my old teachers. They were always on top of me. Nailing me for things they never taught us or never gave us a due date for. So far, the teachers at North Shore had been a lot nicer. Except for one, who got mad at me for trying to go to the bathroom. At my old school, we didn't have to get a pass. We just asked and went. So, I tried leaving without the pass and got yelled at. A lot. That teacher probably hates me now. So far, Ms. Norbury was my favorite teacher. She seemed cool. Pretty nice.

"Oh," I muttered, meekly.

"Yeah, like this one time, they, well Regina, started spreading a-" Damian began, only to be cut off by Janis.

"Damian!" Janis's eyes widened as she told him to shut up.

"My point is," Janis started, "don't underestimate them."

"Okay." I nodded firmly at her statement.

"So, who exactly are they?" I asked.

"That one," Janis grabbed my arm and pointed it towards the honey blonde, "is Karen Smith." She laughed dropping my arm. It kind of disappointed me. Her hand was warm, and the cafeteria was cold. "She is the dumbest person you'll ever meet."

Damian chimed in, "She once asked me how to spell the word 'orange'."

"That little one over there," she grabbed my arm again, making me a bit more content than I was a second ago when she let go, pointing it towards the brunette, "is Gretchen Wieners." She dropped my arm again. "She knows everything about everyone."

"Yeah, that's why her hair is so big," Damian dropped his voice into a whisper, "it's full of secrets."

"Oh!" Janis exclaimed. "She's also totally rich cause' her dad invented the Toaster Strudel."

They went quiet for a minute, so I spoke up. "And her?" I asked, gesturing to the girl in all white.

"Right." Janis groaned, "That's Regina George. How do I even begin to describe Regina George?"

"Oh, right! A backstabbing slutty b-" Janis began, quickly being cut off by Damian.

"Right! Regina. So she's the queen bee, basically. She's always dressing up and winning Spring Fling Queen." He looked away for a second. "Damn her." He muttered.

"We're all just drones who work for her then... die," Janis said.

"Oh. Well, um you really seem to hate them I-"

"Yeah!" Janis said exasperatedly.

"Okay, but why?"

"What?" Janis asked.

"I mean, you seem to really hate them," I said,

"Yes, your question is?" Janis asked

"My question is, why? I asked, flustered, "Why do you hate them so much?"

"Because! They're life ruiners. That's that." Janis said, looking away.

We walked in silence for a second. I felt like I had ruined everything already. I didn't want to find the best possible friends and lose them all in one day.

"I'm sorry," I said, quietly.

"What?" Janis asked.

"Sorry... It just seemed like I made you mad, and I don't want to, um, to do that." I said.

"No, it's fine. You didn't do anything. I just thought of a bad memory. That's all." She said.

"Oh," I said, still quiet, "Okay."

After a few seconds, I spoke up again. This time more confident, "So, about that art club." I said, offering them a smile.

Damian smirked happily. Janis smiled brightly. They were right. They really were the greatest people I would ever meet.

[edited]