Cook Out

I'm under one of the cars in the garage when I hear Dom start talking.

   "What the hell is this?" I roll out and laugh when I see Brian with a very sorry excuse for a car. I grab a rag and wipe my hands before walking over. 

   "This is your car." Brian says, holding his hand out to the car like it was some amazing thing. I laugh again. 

   "My car?" Dom's smiling and I can tell he's amused. "I said a ten second car, not a ten minute car."

   "You could push this across the finish line," Jesse says as he looks at it. "Tow it?" The rest of us chuckle at that.

   "You couldn't even tow that across the finishes line." Dominic says.

   "No faith," Brian says, pointing a Dom.

   "Oh, I have faith in you, but this isn't a junk yard, this is garage."

   "Hey, pop the hood."

   "Pop the hood?"

   "Pop the hood." We get it into the garage and Jessie raises the hood. I watch as it falls to the floor and shake my head. 

   "Two JZ engine." Jesse says.

   "What did I tell you?" Brian says, grinning.

   "I retract my previous statement." I watch Dom. He was much more civil now that Brian wasn't in my apartment. Nice even. I know he likes Brian, but doesn't want to trust him and then I get hurt.

   "You know what?" Jesse starts. "This will decimate all after you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, over night parts from Japan."

   "Well, put it onto my tab at Harry's."

   "Yes!" Jesse exclaims and I laugh.

   "I gotta get you racing again so I can make some money off your ass." Dom tells Brian. "There's a show down in the dessert called Race Wars and that's where you do it." Dom starts to walk off, then turns back. "I'll tell you what, when you're not working at Harry's you're working here. If you can't find the right tool in this garage, Mr. Arizona, you don't belong near a car." He walks away.

   Mia walks over to Brian. "He owns you now." She grins and walks away. I shake my head. If only she knew how untrue that was. 

The next few days we spend getting the car ready for Race Wars. We decide to have a cook out and Brian comes. I'm setting the table outside with Mia when Vince pulls up. He sees Brian and shoves the bags he was carrying at Leon and walks back to his car. Was he seriously gonna be like this?

   "Vince!" Dom calls. "Get over here and give us a hand." 

   "Looks like you got all the help you need, brother!" Vince calls back and I roll my eyes.

   "Don't be an ass, Vince!" I call. "Get over it and get up here!" He gets in his car and leaves. Mia lays a hand on my shoulder.

   "Leave it, Alex. It isn't worth it." I nod and go inside. We bring the food out and sit down. Jesse reaches for the chicken and Dom holds his hand out to them. 

   "Since you were the first out of everybody here to reach in to get the chicken, you say grace." I grin as Jesse looks around. He wipes his hand and nods.

   "Dear heavenly . . ."

   "Spirit." Leon provides. Jesse gives him the thumbs up.

   "That's good. Thank you. Thank you for providing us with direct port nitrous injection, for cor intercoolers and ball-bearing turbos and titanium offsprings. Thank you." We all clap and Dom points at Jesse.

   "Not bad." 

   "Praying to car gods, man." Letty says and I chuckle. I smirk when I see Vince walking over.

   "Oh, look who it is," Leon says. "Ole coyotes are us. I thought you weren't hungry."

   Vince holds his hands out. "I gotta eat." 

   "He's always hungry." Letty says. I laugh and we fist bump. I start putting food on my plate. Vince was the same way with me when I first started hanging with the group. I think it was more because I was still wet behind the ears and he thought I was gonna get everyone in trouble the first time cops hauled me in for speeding and under age driving. He was cool with me now. Vince didn't like new people. And he saw Brian as a threat to his family.

   "Alright sit down." Dom says and Vince moves to the empty seat next to me. I was sitting in between Vince and Letty. I take a sip of my soda. Normally I'd go ahead and have a Corona with the others, none of them gave a shit, but Brian was still a cop. I knew he wouldn't, but he could still get me for underage drinking. 

   We talk and laugh as we eat. At one point I dump my soda on Dom's head and everyone laugh at that. He didn't do anything until after when we were cleaning up. He tied me up and strapped me to the hood of the car and took off at full speed. I at more than a few bugs and thoroughly washed my mouth out afterwards while Mia scolds him. Everyone goes to watch TV and Mia starts on the dishes. Normally, I would help her, but I needed to get home.

   "Later, Mia." I say and we hug.

   "See ya, Alex." I pop my head in the living room and Dom looks at me.

   "I'm heading out. See you tomorrow." He waves and I head out. I drive home and find myself wishing that Dom knew the truth, but I also didn't want to put all that on him. I pull into the parking lot and grab my stuff before heading inside. Mom got out of jail today. They'd only held her for a few days this time rather than a few weeks. I hadn't expected that. I thought I'd have a few weeks without her. I walk in and try to shut the door quietly. It didn't work.

   "Alexandra! Is that you?" I wince as she comes stomping out of her room. "Where have you beem?!?" She screeches. "I'm starving! Do you want me to starve! Go make me something you worthless brat!" She throws her empty bear bottle and me and miss by a foot. It shatters against the wall. I jerk away as glass hits me. I nod and go to the kitchen to start making her food. She grabs another beer and watches me cook. "I should have aborted you when I had the chance." She says. I keep my eyes on the food. "You're so worthless. Maybe he would have stayed of you'd never been born." I wince at that. I knew Dom cared about me and wouldn't have left me if he'd known mom was pregnant, but it still hurt to hear her say all of this. She's my mother. She's supposed to love and take care of me. I my head jerks forward when I feel something hard hit it. Glass shatters and I cry out at the pain. "I hate you!" She screams and hits me. I hit the floor and curl into a ball, covering my head.

   She screams and curses and beats me for ten minutes before she storms into her room. I finish her food, knowing I'd get another beating if I didn't, and set her plate on the table. I grab my bag and slowly walk to my room. I pull my clothes off slowly and painfully and put on an oversized shirt. I'd see what the damage was in the morning.

   I lay down and fall asleep.