Chapter One: New delivery?

Cinder groaned as she picked up the bag of envelopes and slung it around her neck, making the bag hit her countlessly in the stomach. "And why exactly do I have to handle the deliveries today?" She had already done the deliveries yesterday, and the day before that. All covering for Thorne. Cinder shot an glare at her coworker that said Why the hell am I doing your job?

Thorne simply flashed a cheeky, and overall cocky, grin at her. "I'm waiting until I get my license to do the deliveries... So, I can drive the company van instead of walking. It's much more convenient. Not to mention faster."

Cinder rolled her eyes, and answered in a tone that clearly meant she was annoyed, "It could be months until they let you drive The Rampion." The Rampion was the nickname Thorne had given to the company van on the first day they'd started working together. He'd told her his favorite book as a kid had this spaceship captain as a main character, and he piloted this really cool ship called The Rampion. Cinder remembered how strange she thought he was that first day she met him (Isn't that the name of a plant? What kind of captain...). It looked like some things never change. Thorne was still the strangest guy she knew. Not that she knew many guys. "And driving a mail van isn't exactly what kids these days are calling cool, Thorne."

Thorne rolled his eyes dramatically, as if she'd offended him. As if she even needed to speak to offend him. "I don't need a van to look cool, Cinder. And please, I got this driving test thing in the bag. I did already take it three times before." He said it like it was something to be proud of.

"Sure, and failed all of them." Cinder pointed out, frustrated at how easy-going his personality was. She couldn't remember a time when Thorne hadn't annoyed her. Still, they somehow managed to form some kind of bond while working together for so long.

Thorne shrugged. "That just proves I'll be extra ready this time," he said, winking, and handed her one of the larger boxes to deliver on top of the countless envelopes. Cinder could barely hold the large package with both her hands. She wondered why some people couldn't bother to pick these things up. Cinder suddenly wished she was old enough to take her driving test.

"That's what you said last time, Captain." She joked.

Thorne shook his head and shoved her out of the post office entrance door, making the silver bell on the top ring. "Oh, just go, Cinderella!"

Cinder made a face at him through the large clear window. He knew she hated that nickname. At least she called him something he loved to be called. Like he would ever be a captain; he was practically one felony closer to landing himself in jail. She shook her head and weighed the large box in her hands.

Oh, well. Another day, another dollar. Another happy Adri, and another chance at freedom.

Cinder just put one foot in front of the other as always, and started on with deliveries. Again.

🌙

Cress Darnel was not in the mood to be late. She'd spent her entire life waiting for this one letter, and she wasn't going to throw it all away with the mistake of misinterpreting time. She rushed quickly toward the post office, ignoring the fact that she probably looked insane. She kind of always looked insane, actually, considering she hadn't cut her long blonde hair since she was in kindergarten. She never really brushed it either. There just never was enough time for such a trivial thing like that, and it's not like she needed to look good for other people.

She rarely saw or talked to other people.

And besides, She was too busy focusing on the letter than her hair.