the doctor is in ☁️

(in which mental breakdowns become scientific breakthroughs, and a suffering child goes through a transformative experience- requested by darnthatstrippy)

"In the end, I finally found a safe place, and I remembered who I really was." 

You dramatically finished your monologue, did a twirling step across the stage, and threw your arms around your love interest as they dipped you. They held you firmly, in the final pose of a dance without music. The audience erupted, and thunderclaps of applause rang through the air. Everyone else on the cast came out for the final bow behind you, and the roar grew louder. A couple of people in the front rows threw roses; you caught one with a flourish of your arm just before the curtains lowered. Everyone flooded out into the main halls to greet family members and friends, but you went straight to the costume rooms. Nobody was here for you tonight, but you didn't mind. Right? 

The director pat you on the back, a bit roughly, in the hallway. "Eyy, nice job, Y/N! A midday show that was even better than last night!" she said, her eyes shimmering as bright as her new lapel pin. Her gold bowtie matched- and so did every other unnecessary adornment on her lanky form. You forced a smile. "I bet I know what you're thinking, dahling, and I assure you that your salary...will come....soon..!" Your eyes burned, and you gritted your teeth when replying. "Oh? It has been nearly two months at this point, and I'm running low on money....." You hesitated, and at her glowering, you sighed and waved her off with a "nevermind." You gathered your things from your well-lit mirror and went to the office. Quietly, you grabbed a pen and a note of resignation, and left through the doors into the sunlight with the rest of the crowd. Nobody noticed you, since you had detransformed from the lead role persona.

You didn't care about the hot tears that fell onto the pavement. You deserved to be treated better than this. An epithet like 'metamorphosis' was too valuable to be wasted on somebody who was manipulating you. So many plays, so many musicals, so much time spent shifting characters and changing identities, all for what? Your head was so full of vague songs and voices that you had forgotten what you originally were. You decided to focus on getting a new job; you walked through downtown, scanning strip centers and restaurants for hiring signs. 

A turquoise sign shaped like a cloud caught your eye. It read "Dr. Ashling Epithet Research." You looked below it and saw a little yellow sign that said "Now Hiring." The place looked....cozy, and soft as a lamb. When you entered, a short boy with fluffy hair greeted you cordially. "Hello, and welcome! Do you have an appointment?" You shook your head, and clarified that you were here to be hired. "Are you...Dr. Ashling?" you asked. He smiled proudly. "Yes, indeed- but you can call me Sylvie." His voice was young, yet very confident and slightly snarky. "Please follow me!" He led you to the only other room in the building- a simplistic room that was obviously meant for counseling. It had soft cloud-patterned walls, fairy lights, and plush turquoise couches. "Wow, you have an impeccable vibe, this was well planned." His eyes shone. "You really like it?" he asked, giddy and gleeful. You chuckled. "Anyway," he composed himself quickly, "I have some questions, of course, starting with your name." You blanked. "Um......prefer not to answer.....?" The psychologist narrowed his eyes. "Uh, okay.....your date of birth? Age?" "I can't remember," you said, your voice changing to another and growing more shy. 

"Are you inscribed?" Finally, something you could answer. "Yes. My epithet is metamorphosis." His eyes widened. "Whoa, that's a powerful one. What do you use it for?" You started crying, just a little. "Acting, formerly. Now, I don't even know what I am or who I am or what I'm supposed to do and I'm just-" You looked down at Sylvie- he was smaller, and much more scared. Looking down at yourself, you realized that you had grown into a murky, anxious mass. You yelped, and shrank immediately. "I'm so sorry, I didn't realize, I, it's, oh gosh I must be making a terrible impression-" you squeaked. A soft, reassuring hand grabbed your shoulder. Sylvie kneeled down to speak to you. "You have a lot of doubt inside you, don't you?" You whimpered a reply. "Here, settle down on the couch. Make yourself comfortable." He was so tender and kind. "I think that getting you some therapy is more important than getting you a job. "B-but I don't have money, I couldn't possibly pay, how could I-" The doctor put a finger close to your mouth and shushed you, very gently. For a moment in your life, you felt like nothing was expected of you, and you could...breathe.

"I study epithets, and their effects on a person's psyche. You're one of the most-" -he paused, his eyes glistening- "fantastic cases I've ever seen. I really want to learn more about you." He was staring directly into your eyes- they were changing color. "How can you do that, if even I don't know anything about me?" He smiled sympathetically. "You know what? That's fine, because people are constantly changing and growing, and I think that's really cool." A look of confusion had taken over your facial features. "It isn't about finding yourself, or your ultimate purpose- it's about being okay with changes, and letting yourself evolve freely." You laughed. "That's super cheesy." He agreed, "Yeah, but they say it all the time because it's true!" For a moment, you felt a faint warmth. You glowed, your cheeks rosy with hope.

"You look like you really need a hug. Of course, from here on out, I'll make sure you're as comfortable as possible in my care, and I won't force you into anyth- oh, you- you are hugging me." He was a little surprised as he interrupted himself. He tentatively returned the hug and mentally promised to take care of you. It wasn't going to be overnight, and it wasn't going to be fast or easy, but he was confident in you- and maybe he'd learn a little something about himself, too. You thought a gentle thought to yourself as you exhaled.

"I finally found a safe place, and with time and care, I can grow into who I really want to be."

~

1063 words

~

Requested by darnthatstrippy and was a joy to write! Feel free to request your own, and have a STELLAR day!