voltage ☁️

(in which a little bean grapples with her overwhelming power, and finds a happy medium- requested by RoseDaJoyfulQueen  and I'm sorry it took so long I've had writers block)

You woke up and started crying. This was the third night this week you'd suddenly jolted up from the same dream, covered in goosebumps. A tear you didn't even feel fell onto your blanket and sssizzled. There was a teeny-tiny burn mark where the spark had lit for a moment, but you knew it'd be gone by the next night anyway. They always were. As you dragged yourself out of bed, you didn't even care enough to look up at your clock. You knew it was far too early to be awake, no matter the numbers. Flicking on your pale bathroom light, you faced your groggy self in the mirror. You were disheveled. Your (h/c) mop of hair looked like it had been sparked with a live wire. Without saying a word, you grabbed your hairbrush, and got to work.

"Knock knock, sweetie," your mom said from outside the bathroom door. You opened it up, hairbrush still in hand. "I'm guessing it happened again?" she asked sympathetically. You nodded, and she moved forward to hug you. "You should really see a psychologist about this, honey, if it's shaking you up this badly..." You shook your head and wrestled out of her grip, so you could keep fixing your hair. "No, Mom, it's fine." She was still concerned, but she sighed. "At least come get yourself some breakfast before you leave for school." You went to the kitchen and poured a bowl of off-brand Lucky Charms. "Ha. Let's hope I don't burn these." Your mom frowned. "Oh, don't be so pessimistic. Your wonderful  electric epithet isn't always active, and you aren't a danger to your surroundings." You shoved a spoonful of cereal in your mouth, so you didn't have to tell her she was right. She handed you your backpack and you were out the door. Your classic school day adventure began, and the day was bland and uneventful. Nothing ever really happened at your school to begin with, that you cared about, at least. The day ended with the bus arriving 5 minutes late, as always.

As soon as JD, (Jebenezer Dumptruck, whose hair was as stupid as his name,) walked onto the bus and shoved his way into your seat, you knew today was going to be hard. You pulled out a pair of broken earbuds and put them in your ears. Even if they weren't functional, they were good at warding off unwanted conversation. "I said, HEY!" He tapped your shoulder aggressively. You looked at him, forced a smile, and pulled out an earbud. "Oh, sorry! I didn't hear you." He sneered. "Yeah, right." His lackeys gathered in the seats around him, staring at you and making you feel very, very small. You felt yourself start to get goosebumps...oh no, not THIS, not here, not now... "HEY! Look at me when I'm TALKIN' to you!" he interrupted. At least it brought you back to your senses. "Remember what I told you yesterday? You better be prepared, because once we step off this bus, you're MINE!" You grimaced. "I don't want to fight you, sleazeball." you said through gritted teeth. "WHA- erm- ugh..!" He walked up to the bus driver and his whole demeanor changed. "Can you please stop here? I forgot I was going somewhere with my friend Y/N today. I'm very sorry!" She stopped the bus and opened the door- everyone gasped. JD's paparazzi shoved you down the aisle. The bus drove off without you- you were someplace near a museum. JD threw his backpack down, and you timidly set yours down. "Please don't hold back, Y/N. I know you're MUCH more powerful than you're letting on." You shook your head. "I don't want to do this. I don't want to fight anyone..." He suddenly moved toward you and lifted your chin with his finger. "But I want to see what you can do to me." You released an angry burst of electricity at his comment. Your skin prickled and your eyes crackled. He laughed. It was gross and ugly. You nearly glowed, and exploded with goosebumps.  Shrinking back from yourself, you collapsed and started crying. "If that's what it takes to get you out of your shell, then I'll-" His statement trailed off, because he... randomly fell asleep?

You looked up and saw a mysterious figure in a lab coat, sprinkling golden dust over him with a stern expression. The sun was behind him, so his silhouette was outlined, making him look refined and mature. The glitter of some excess powder hung around him and made him look... ethereal, to be honest. He reached down to pull you up, but you flinched. "I- I don't want to hurt you," you said, your hands sparking for effect. He smiled softly, said "Counting Sheep!", and a fluffy yellow sheep seemed to bound out of nowhere. You were amazed. "The wool is too thick for electricity to hurt them, so you can just hold on to it and everything will be alright." You beamed in relief. You finally had a way to stifle yourself. "Th-thank you..." You hugged the sheep close to you and let it soothe you. "Who are you?" you asked him. He pulled a business card out of his pocket. "Dr. Sylvester Ashling, epithet researcher and psychologist. Alternatively, just Sylvie."

"Wait, you're kidding!" you said incredulously. He deflated a bit. "Yeah, I know I'm supposedly 'just a kid' so how can I be-" "PERFECT! You're EXACTLY the person I need!" He was confused, but a bit flustered, too. "What?" "Oh, you don't know HOW much pain my epithet has been giving me! I have so much anxiety, I haven't got a good night's sleep in weeks, Mom insists I need professional help, and you're that professional help!" At every new detail, his face lit up more and more. "Epithet problems? Sleep? That's literally me!" You both were absolutely overjoyed at having found each other. "How much do I need to pay you?" you asked. "Nothing yet, the first session's free. I can't wait to see you again, you're exactly the client I specialize in. How is this so perfect?" He accidentally released a giddy squeal, but regained his composure and cleared his throat. You whipped out your phone to call your mom. Meanwhile, JD was waking up, and his lackeys had jogged from their bus stop to come meet him there. When the pastel boy noticed them, he narrowed his eyes. "I'll take care of this."

"Hi Mom!" you greeted. "Hey, where are you? Did something happen with the bus?" your mom asked, a bit worriedly. "Yeah, but it's fine." Sylvie pulled out a yoyo and started using it as a weapon. "I found a psychologist! He's-" -he spread gold dust over the mob like a fertilizer plane- "-amazing." "Oh, that's amazing, honey! How much is it?" "His first session is fr..f...fursona...?!" Your mom was very confused, but how could you explain that you'd just watched a cute scrawny kid turn into a hunky muscular bull?!  "Free. I First session is free." The bullies, scared for their lives, ran away after Sylvie transformed. His golden bull form dissolved and he cheered. "Ok, Y/N, when you get home, we'll set up an appointment." "Thanks, Mom. See you soon," you responded, and hung up. Sylvie handed you your backpack and beamed. "That went well! I don't fight that much but I dare say I'm well equipped." He chuckled to himself. "Yeah, you're amazing," you remarked, "and if you're available, I'll be seeing you tomorrow?" Sylvie started blushing, sensing the undertones of your statement. "Um, I mean, yes?, I-" "For my appointment, of course." He breathed a sigh of relief. "Yeah, totally." As you parted tour separate ways, he stole a couple glances back at you. You didn't notice, but they were surely there, and they were electrifying.

~
1319 words ♡
~

feel free to request your own! hope you enjoyed, and have a stellar day!