the hanahaki disease ☁️

(ANGSTY. in which a bit of unrealized, unrequited love becomes quickly dangerous! i love these plots they break my heart.)

tw: blood mention

Scribble, scribble, scribble, scribble, scribble. A lonely psychologist was huddling over his work, his pen furiously flying across the page. His normally-refined script was now deteriorated to a scrawl- he wrote way too fast when he took notes. When he looked back over this notebook page, he saw your name way too much- he'd kept absentmindedly writing it in place of other words. "Uuuuggghhh, why am I thinking about them so much! They're so cute and it's tearing me apart!" His mind frolicked off to thoughts of you, and how much you guys had hung out recently. His cheeks were lightly dusted with pink, and his pen was completely still- this was rare. "I can't focus," he lamented, "so I may as well get a breath of fresh air, right?" He left his apartment and went out for a walk.

The sky was gray and full of delicate clouds. Sylvie craned his neck to stare up in awe because oh goodness, he LOVED clouds Inevitably, when he stared at something so tranquil and mesmerizing, he thought about you. He sighed dreamily, but it turned into a sneeze. A tiny piece of...light pink?...fluttered out of his mouth. He picked it out of the air to examine it- it was almost like a flower petal, which was really weird, since he didn't remember eating any flowers recently. He put the petal in his coat pocket to take note of later, and his eyes drifted back upwards.

Thunk! He didn't notice someone else walking there, and bumped into them. "Oh I'm so sorry-" he started, until he realized who it was, none other than Giovanni Potage- "wow, what do you know, suddenly I'm not as sorry." The fabulous soup man beamed. "Great to see you too, sheep boy!" He wasn't wearing his Banzai Blaster uniform, but rather a casual maroon hoodie and jeans. Sylvie thought he looked considerably less tacky, and was actually tolerable. "What are you doing out here?" he asked. Sylvie fidgeted. "I, uh. I couldn't focus, so I was just sitting out and...thinking." His eyes flitted to the side; suddenly, he coughed. A couple more petals fell into the elbow of his coat. Giovanni noticed, and proceeded to flip out.

"HOLY CRAP! Dude, are those flowers?? This is an emergency!!!" Sylvie nearly launched backward. "No, it's fine, don't worry about me, it's probably fine, it's not that big a deal, I'd hate to interrupt anything you're doing, I couldn't possibly, I-" "I'm already calling my boys and letting them know I'll be late to our sundae day," At this, Sylvie flinched. "Too late, nerd, you can't argue because I'm helping you." He grabbed the boy's arm and raced down the sidewalk- on occasion, Sylvie would cough, and a couple of flower petals would trail behind them.

"Do you even know where we're going??" Sylvie frantically asked. Giovanni deadpanned, "Depends on who you have a crush on." His face turned bright red. "I...what do you mean? I love my studies...romance is dumb, I don't have a crush...." He tried to hide it, but his speech was broken by little flower petals escaping his mouth. Giovanni facepalmed. "This flower thing is called the hanahaki disease. It's caused by unrequited love, and the longer you deny it, the worse it gets. We need to get you to your crush, stat." Sylvie winced. "But it's embarrassing....and stupid...." Giovanni stopped in his tracks and knelt down to look at the flustered Sylvie. "Hey," he softly began. "I know you don't want to seem vulnerable. It's really hard to admit your feelings to people because that makes you feel weak." Sylvie's eyes were wide and round. "But for example, me and my boys, I'm like a father to them. And I love that position, because they know they can trust me, and we're stronger together. Keeping yourself distant is only going to make you weaker." A tiny tear slipped out of Sylvie's glasses. He didn't even acknowledge it. "It doesn't have to be me. But please, for your own good, talk to somebody about this. I know you don't care about my opinion, but I really don't want to see you hurting like this."

Giovanni was surprised when Sylvie buried his face into his torso and sobbed quietly.

He shed a couple of tears as well, and wrapped his arms around the crying child. He could care less if his hoodie was stained with tears- this was more than worth it. "Y/N." Sylvie mumbled. Now that took some trust. "You're so strong." Giovanni reassured him. He looked up and smiled, but the slightest dribble of blood accompanied a flower petal hanging off his lip. Combined with the tear stains, this was a Look™. Giovanni pulled out his cell phone and dialed your number. Sylvie suddenly regained his composure and quickly detached himself from Giovanni, wiping the blood off his chin with the back of his hand. It was really freaking cute, honestly. "Hey, Y/N, meet me by the Chick-fil-a as FAST AS YOU CAN it's an EMERGENCY." There was an inaudible reply, then Giovanni thanked you and hung up. "Ok, we need to get going, it's a couple blocks that way." They ran side-by-side, but Sylvie faltered. At this point, he was coughing up entire flowers, and he kept tripping or stopping up. Without thinking, the soup dad scooped him up in his arms, and carried him frantically to the Chick-fil-a.

You hopped off your bike, and saw the boys approaching. You were confused as to why Giovanni was carrying Sylvie who couldn't STAND him, but we don't have time to unpack all of that. Sylvie was in obvious pain- he couldn't stop coughing, and there was a loose trail of light pink flowers behind them. Some of them had drops of blood staining them. You looked at him in horror as he reached a weak hand out to you, blood trickling down his chin. He shied away from your gaze and retched. More flowers tumbled out of his throat and left him disheveled. You hurried to his side, as he nearly fell out of Giovanni's arms. He was crying now and hereached for you. You went pale when you caught him; he was a frail ragdoll. He smiled weakly, knowing how hard it would be to expose himself to you.

"Y/N, I-" Another bloody flower. "I'm so sorry-" He wiped the petals and tears off his face, but he couldn't wipe off the blush. "I have-...a c-c-" -cough- "crush on you!" He had to force the words out, and it was such a huge step for him. Your eyes lit up. "Oh, if only you would have told me sooner...!" He was confused. "Wh-what?" he asked tentatively. "Oh, dear," you blushed. "I love you too!" He laughed weakly, expecting another bloody heave of flowers. But they never came. He was astonished- since his love was, in fact, requited, the plants growing in his lungs had dissolved. His face lit up, and he hugged you in delight.

"Um." You heard and unfamiliar voice pierce the conversation. "I'm happy for you. But, um. Would you guys like to order some food?" A Chick-fil-A employee was standing nearby, and had vaguely watched this all go down. Giovanni saved the situation by pulling out a credit card with a screenshot of Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' on it. "Give us them chicken nuggies. In bulk. 3 lemonades as well, I appreciate it." The three of you took a seat on a nearby bench to wait for your food. Sylvie didn't immediately show a lot of affection, but you understood completely how this was absolutely perfect for him. It took a lot of courage to confess, and that was a big enough feat for one day. You knew that you could take baby steps in trust; love won't happen overnight, you have to let it grow and blossom, much like a flower. But remember; it's really unhealthy to keep the flowers to yourself, because in the end, all it does is hurt you. Trust takes time, and that's perfectly valid.

~
1373 words
~
not gonna lie I cried while I was writing this. loved it. feel free to request your own, and have a STELLAR day!!