Chapter 7

I am torn.  I know what I should feel, and didn’t feel it. I liked him, but also hated his relations. Ragetti comes back and shakes his head.

  “Pin won’t say.”

  “Why?”

He shakes his head again. I sigh. Why is NOBODY telling me ANYTHING that I want to know? We sit in silence for a moment, then he gets closer and wraps his arms around my middle, and his chin begins descend on my head, but I scoot away, unsure of what to do. He looks so crestfallen, I laugh for the 10th time that day.

  I look back up at Elizabeth, who is finishing up her dinner. Barbossa is talking about ghost stories, and I fear where this is going. He says, “You’d better start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You’re in one!” He grabs her and steps out in the moonlight, revealing his true, cursed form. He uncorks a bottle of wine with his teeth and pours it down his empty ribcage, splashing the blood-red liquid all over the ragged, rotting flesh and tattered cloth that hangs off of grey ribs. Elizabeth screams and runs straight into Bo’ sun. He scares her and she turns, still screaming, while the crew bounces her all around the ship. She is carried up into the air and dropped her onto a cargo net.  This net, being wielded by several cursed men, went up and down like a trampoline, and so did she.

  I am holding my sides laughing my head off. Ragetti, concerned, touches me lightly on the back. I feel warm flesh when I should feel cold bone. I grab his hand.  He looks at it in amazement. “I can feel it,” he says. I concentrate a little harder and it spreads up his arm.  He smiles as the area grows. “I can feel! It’s been 10 years since I’ve felt this!” he exclaims with joy. Finally, after it spreads to all of his body, I let out the breath that I’ve been holding. I don’t have to concentrate as much now that he’s fully covered. He turns to me and smiles; leans in and we kiss.

  I storm into the room that I will be sleeping in.  I am mad because I am confused. I don’t know what I think of Ragetti anymore. I think I’m starting to have a crush on him! I had my eye on another that I hoped to marry (He’s not a pirate at all) but that fell apart quite a few years ago. But then there was the other thing to consider with Ragetti. I hadn’t seen him for years, but there was a little thing that stuck around long after he was gone.

  I talked to Elizabeth all night. She was huddled in the Captain’s quarters shaking, and I tried to comfort her while telling her my problems. It went surprisingly well; we made it through the night.

  I get up after dozing lightly for a while. The dawn is just breaking over a calm sea. It’s at an angle so that nobody can see anything, and it makes quite a comical sight to see the crew bumping into random things, and one even fell into the cargo net and got all tangled up. I found a spot under the stairs in which to sit. I hugged my knees and peered out as the morning began.

  Elizabeth came out, looking around for me and I quietly gestured to her. She came to sit beside me and we hid there for a while, watching as the crew expertly commanded the ship. Her sails flew up with a speed matched only with sorcery. The rigging was done in the blink of an eye. These undead men sure knew what they were doing. And now, because of yesterday, Elizabeth and I are almost soul sisters. We went through what was, in her mind, a terrifying event together, I saved her life and her sanity, and I would continue to do so. Technically, I am her sister because her father adopted me, but we weren’t close. Now, we are, and I’m happier for it.