39. Embark

It was time.

Helios glanced at the ancient oak door in front of him, anticipating Azure's arrival.

His own room was cast in a soft glow emanating from the fire lamps. He had hated the presence of light that was not sourced from his powers. But ever since the Chasm had demanded his sacrifice, he had been ripped off his powers.

He closed his eyes, straightening his back as he strained his senses. Azure had reached up the staircase, and soon, he heard his tranquil voice floating through the curtains as he spoke, "Helios."

Helios opened his eyes, "In."

His voice sounded drained, but still held the command that he always had.

Azure walked in, bowing deeply in reverence. "Helios."

Helios nodded at him, looking at him serenely through his cold grey eyes. The uneasy sense in his chest was still too infant to actually cause him distress, but thousands of years of life had taught him to take his intuitions gravely.

Especially ones that were not optimistic.

"The Ultimaria is collapsing faster than expected Azure." He said finally, the truth of the words hanging clear in the empty room like a threatening dagger.

Azure glanced at him his pale eyes betraying his fear, "Why is it happening Helios?"

Helios shook his head, standing up as he walked around the room, pacing slowly.

"The monsters grow restless." He said, "The Chasm will fissure soon. But...we have an Asterius among us. We must find him."

Azure sighed, shifting uncomfortably.

"There is this child. His powers remain something of a mystery. We have taken him into Incandesco for now."

Helios waited patiently for Azure to continue, "Ezekiel Joziah Hunt. The bastard of King Augustus of Evimeria. He is an Asterius."

Helis didn't say anything, his mind a maze of memories as he shut his eyes and tried to extract them to the surface. "He is the only Asterius to have survived so long."

Azure nodded, "Yes. But I fear-"

"Train him. Bring him to me as soon as he transcends into an adult. He is the prophetic Starlight. The nineteenth Asterius. Our world shall need his sacrifice soon. This very decade if the Ultimaria continues to remain as aggressive."

The small-sized star was made of strange quarks of energy. In the mortal world, the true power of the Ultimaria was scarcely known. They had coined it, 'Strange Star.' Even though they had got several of its properties wrong.

For instance, the assumption that they still had several millennia before it imploded.

Azure stared at him, his eyes vacant as he thought over. His illusion had taught him to not betray his feelings- however, Helios was finding it hard to concentrate.

He no longer had any ties to the universe; mortal or otherwise. He had no desires to fulfil nor aspirations. However, he was terrified of the era of Darkness that would befall unless the Ultimaria was tamed.

He was terrified that all the good he and so many others had yearned to protect, would fall.

Azure nodded and rose, "I will see to it."

Helios sighed, his eyes shifting to the window that overlooked the celestial garden. The ancient tree of life stood amid the surrounding emerald forest, where the Sentinel Sognare, his home since the past millennium, stood.

His ancient eyes could no longer read the prophecy etched onto the wide bark of the mystical tree thousands of years ago. However, he remembered every word by heart.

He whispered the prophecy to himself, turning each word around in his head. He knew that prophecies could not be averted, the very things that man did to avoid it ultimately became what beckons to it.

"At the turn of the century
Two beasts shall be seen-

One imploding itself,

Another blasting the universe to smithereens.

To battle these two beasts, there will be a child
begotten from the naked intimacy of the light and the dark,
Who's enigmatic influence shall encompass all- far and wide.
The expanding canvas of blinding luminescence
will be annihilated by the son of the star

The second beast
Shall collapse on its own, leaving nothing but a scar
On the earth's face as she raises her arms to bury the two beasts
and then finally, will Obscura be at peace.

Then only will the reopened Chasm be sealed
Then only will the dark creatures be slain
The scarlet drained from the child's body
Then will be an era of light, dispelling all suffering and pain"

The Asterian child was begotten from the naked intimacy of light and darkness. It was now time to prepare him for the sacrifice.

Helios muttered a prayer, closing his eyes.

He uttered the child's name, the words sounding strange on his tongue.

"Ezekiel."