16. Amidst Afar

I slept through the morning classes that day, only waking up after lunch and to my horror, realizing that I had my first practical Elements class in five minutes.

I got up and changed as quickly as I could. I removed the bandage from my jaw and was relieved to see that the bruise had cleared up completely, something that had been happening to me since I was a child. I made a beeline for the elevator, which just wouldn't work fast enough.

I ran through the grounds, already five minutes late and stood for several moments outside the classroom in front of the large mahogany double doors and gazed at the high ceiling, feeling my heart thumping painfully in my throat. I was terrified of how I would be viewed. Like some spectacle. I felt my chest freezing, my stomach knotting uncomfortably. What was I doing there anyway? I didn't deserve to be among them.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

I entered the classroom, my legs blocks of ice. The solid air was compressing my lungs and unwilling to let me breathe. My entry interrupted a stern-looking woman who had her arms outstretched in front of her in some sort of a demonstration. She lowered her arms and cocked an eyebrow as I felt hundred of pairs of eyes swivel in my direction.

I tried to catch my breath as she walked closer to me. "Ezekiel Joziah Hunt," she said, "the new student?"

I struggled to stand straight, panting hard and instead decided just to nod politely, not trusting my breath enough to speak.

"Might I ask why you are so late?" She seemed strict by her sharp features, narrowed eyes and high cheekbones, but not cruel. Had this been Stonewall, I would have been running five laps around the ground by now.

The truth escaped my mouth for the lack of a better excuse, "I sl-sl-ept really l-la-la-ate,"

My face burned at the humiliation and I contemplated bolting from there. Again I was reminded of how I didn't belong there. My stutter like always was back at the most inconvenient time. I averted her gaze, fixing my eyes on the floor instead and gulping nervously.

"Ridiculously childish. However, I do appreciate your honesty. I shall excuse you this one time, but I suggest you do not ever come into my class a second late again, Hunt."

I nodded, relieved as she gestured for me to take a seat. I was aware of stares burning into my back and increasing my anxiety. I didn't want to walk all the way to the back of the class anyway, lest every one should stare at me even more and instead just sat on the front row, immediately regretting my decision as she opened her arms wide and a miniature tornado appeared between her palms.

It was ferocious but elegantly controlled. There was a murmur of excitement among the class. "Now," she shut her palms as the tornado disappeared. "As instructed last week, I will be calling students randomly to perform a controlled exhibition of their element. I hope you all have been practising."

"Fuck!"

I cursed under my breath as I felt a sharp sting on my index finger and felt a warm, sticky liquid. I gazed down at my left hand where the fingernail of my thumb had fiercely dug into the side of my index finger. A sharp, bright pink line had now been etched there, droplets of blood oozing out of the punctured wound and glistening under the bright lights. I sighed and had to make a conscious effort to keep my hands still, consequent of which was me jiggling my right leg instead. Even though it was annoying that I couldn't control the impulse, it was at least less self-harming.

I looked around at the wary class. A part of me was excited to see what everyone would present, however, my heart sank as I realized just how much further from me they all were. I didn't even know my element yet, and here they were exhibiting them.