CHAPTER THREE

- CHAPTER THREE -
"HEARTBREAK HAS MORE FRIENDS THAN LOVE EVER COULD."

Kalani's brother had died instantly after the drunk driver collided with his car

Kaden had decided to give Kalani a ride home from judo practice because her car had been in the shop. Prior to that, Ronda had backed his sister's car into a pole, totaling it.

Their father had been disappointed in Kalani after hearing the news, knowing how foolish her actions were. However, he did not punish her that close to the Olympics and allowed her to continue going to practices.

Kalani was never the same in his eyes, though.

It was dark, with rain filling the windshield and obstructing Kaden's vision. He had proceeded with caution, slowing his speed to ensure their safety. The two unapologetically sang Taylor Swift because it had been Kalani's favorite.

Neither person in the car could have prepared for the truck speeding over the hill, losing control as it slid into their lane.

In a split second decision, Kaden jerked the wheel, moving the car so that he would take the brunt of the hit and protect his sister.

That was what bothered Kalani even now, over a decade later: Kaden, a boy who was leaving in the fall on a full wrestling, division one scholarship, would risk his life to leave her unharmed.

The impact was too much for Kaden, whereas Kalani only suffered a minor concussion after her head collided with her window. As she came to, Kalani was being pulled out of an upside-down, burning car by a fireman. The EMTs stopped her from moving so they could assess her injuries.

However, all she cared about was her brother.

"Kaden!" she yelled, standing up unsteadily as she ran to try to find him, though a fireman grabbed her by her waist to stop her from going any further. He tried to hide Kaden's injuries from her, knowing that she wouldn't want to remember him the way he looked after the accident, but he was too late. Kalani witnessed the horrors the truck had caused to her twin brother's body, with blood and glass shards and a pale, pale corpse.

Drinking always brought the memory back, which is why Kalani needed to stay away.

She awoke remembering the incident, recalling the parts of the night before she could remember. The fighter sported a heavy hangover, and cursed herself for losing control once again.

She checked her phone, seeing copious congratulations texts on her debut and one from Nattie. The blonde had sent a video to Kalani during her drunken endeavors, showcasing Kalani with a man she had not known. The two were dancing, grinding on one another as he had grabbed her breast. Her tongue had been sticking out before she sang to the music overhead.