16 Necromancy

Claire stared at the young girl floating before her. They were in the parking lot of an abandoned warehouse in the industrial district. There was a perimeter of 5 feet taped off around the girl where no one dared step too close. The girl was a teenager, perhaps no more than 15 with dark brown hair, a pretty face wearing no makeup, jeans and long sleeve shirt. Her hair was matted with dirt and her clothing was torn. She was floating 3 feet off the ground with her head tilted as if she was hung, but the worst part was the magic coating her.

        She was shrouded in thick black magic which held her suspended and prevented anyone from getting near. The girl slowly turns in a circle and as her face came face to face with Claire she saw a look of pure horror frozen on the young child’s face. Claire felt her fingers tighten into fists as her anger and vile rose in her throat. Someone used Necromancy, the magic of the dead, on this girl and terrified her to death. Claire didn’t know what pissed her off more, the fact that Necromancy was used or that it was preventing even her from releasing the girl from its hold.

        Smoke burned Raven’s nose as he inhaled the smoke rising from his cigarette. He watched Claire closely as she stared at the victim. He saw her hands curl into fists and could feel her rage from behind her. He sighed as he threw out the butt and knew he couldn’t say anything to help her. He felt someone come up beside him and saw their new ME Tessa with her hand on her throat.

        “It’s horrible.”

        Raven pulled out another cigarette and lit it as he jammed his hands into his pocket hoarsely saying, “Yeah.”

        They watched Claire sigh as she threw out her hand. She said something to the holo fairy and turned to them when it flickered off. She stopped in front of Raven and held out her hand, “Give me one.”

        Raven raised an eyebrow not moving, “You want to smoke?”

        Claire sighed again, “No. But I have to do something.”

        Raven still didn’t move and Claire let her hand fall. She stared at the ground for a bit then crossed her arms as she looked back to the young girl. Tessa stepped forward and put her small hand on Claire’s arm.

        “Who did you contact?”

        Not taking her eyes off the girl Claire answered, “Dillon. We grew up together in the orphanage and he’s the only Necromancer I know. He’ll be able to get that stuff off her so we can get her down.”

        “Are you sure that’s wise?” Claire turned to stare at Raven, “If he’s a Necromancer than he’s a suspect.”

        Raven felt Claire’s eyes burn into his as she stared at him silently before she spoke, “The Guild has strict rules concerning Necromancers. They are monitored at all times and their magic is restricted. Whoever did this is not from the Guild.”

        Little Tessa squeaked, “So it’s a rouge mage?”

        Claire turned her eyes to Tessa’s, “Yes.”

        Just then a black cloud formed behind Claire and all the officers there jumped, pulling out their guns. Claire ordered them to stand down saying it’s not a threat as Dillon walked through the cloud. He stood eye to eye with Raven sporting the same jet black hair but it was even more prominent on him in contrast to his pale skin. His arms and legs were extremely long giving him the impression of being slinky and thinned frame but upon closer inspection muscles can be seen under his thick black shirt. Like Claire, Dillon shared the believe of training the body as well as the magic and they were occasional sparring partners.