24 Wilks

“I heard you two had a run in with the Puritans. You ok?”

        Claire and Raven made it back to the office after dark. Raven called in the sighting to the FBI and CIA while Claire called it in to the Guild and MKP. It seemed like they spent hours answering questions while suits rolled up when it was only one hour. Raven was glued to his computer filling out the report, trying to forget the anger he felt as Claire had collapsed in the chair before his desk, shaken. Claire looked up from holding her head while propped on his desk as Malvina came up and asked about her.

        “Yeah I’m fine just…shaken.”

        Malvina sat in the neighboring chair and laid a hand on Claire’s arm, “You sure?”

        Claire silently nodded her head. Malvina gave her a comforting squeeze then went back to her desk. Claire felt a whoosh and looked behind her to see Dillon kneeling eye level to her.

        “Are you alright?”

        She gave a weak laugh, “I’m fine D.”

        His eyes grew serious, “They didn’t hurt you did they?”

        “They? Who-,” Claire exasperated into her hand, “Abby. I’m gonna kill her.” She sat up and put a hand on Dillon’s shoulder, “I am fine D. It was just a mark, they weren’t there.”

        Dillon kept his eye on her, looking her over and finally nodded his head. Raven watched as Claire patted Dillon’s shoulder and gave him a smile, feeling a pit in his stomach. He cleared his throat drawing their attention and pointed Dillon with a question.

        “Have you found anything yet concerning Emily?”

        Dillon was quiet as he stood and nodded his head, “Yes. She says ‘wilks’.”

        “’Wilks’?” Both Raven and Claire turned to each other in question.

        Claire turned back to Dillon, “What’s ‘wilks’?”

        Dillon looks down at her, “That’s all his name she remembers.”

        “Name?” Claire turned to Raven, “It’s a name! There is a guy.”

        Raven nodded as he turned back to Dillon, “Is there anything else you can tell us?”

        Dillon paused and Claire sensed he was troubled by what he was going to say. She placed her hand in his and gave him a squeeze. He squeezed back as he answered, “The magic was not of her consent.”

        He quickly left, saying he had business and Claire promised to call him later. She and Raven were brooding over what that could mean as Malvina came up to them again, leaning on his desk.

        “Who was that?”

        Claire answered absently, “My foster brother, Dillon.”

        “Mmm.”

        Before Malvina could ask anymore the doors flew open and Lucy ran inside, Henry close behind her, “Claire! Sweetheart are you alright?!” She ran to Claire and threw her arms around her, “I heard what happened. They didn’t touch you did they? Are you hurt?”

        Claire was laughing, touched by Lucy’s genuine concern when Raven scolded behind her, “DuBall! How many times do I have to tell you to get your hands off my partner?!”