Bond of Friendship

We thanked the old lady for her help and left. Kiku led us to his house in silence while we followed him without saying anything either.

He unlocked the padlock on the entrance door and slid it open. It was already getting dark. The sun was setting behind the trees and the sky had gotten dyed in a rich golden hue. Kiku switched on the lights for us to enter.

We stepped inside and removed our shoes in the entranceway. I looked around. Kiku's house was like a normal traditional Japanese house with wodden floor boards and timbered walls.

"Please follow me," he said.

We walked through the narrow corridor till we reached a paper sliding‐door. He opened it, revealing a small living‐room with a low table at the center. The floor was covered with tatami mats and another sliding‐door on the other wall, which was open, giving way towards the backyard.

Kiku entered first and seated himself on a floor cushion. "Have a seat," he said. We listened to him and sat down.

We all quietly remained seated. The atmosphere in the room was getting heavy and bitterly silent. We all had many questions for Kiku but we didn't know where to start.

"Japan," Antonio finally spoke up.

We all looked at him. Even Kiku who had his head lowered, looked up to answer him.

"Can...I use your restroom?" Antonio nervously laughed.

We sweatdropped.

Kiku cleared his throat. "Yes, you may. It is on the left at the end of the corridor," he directed.
"Thanks!" The Spanish man jumped onto his feet and ran out.

We watched, baffled, as he disappeared into the corridor towards the bathroom.

At last, the long awaited conversation came up. Kiku faced us and started. "May I ask what brought you all here?"

Alfred stood up from his place. "That's what we want to ask you too! What brought YOU here? Are you planning on isolating yourself again?" he pointed his finger at Kiku and asked.

Kiku seemed a bit surprised at this. "No, I wasn't. But what made you think that, if I may ask?" he asked, confused.

"Uh, well..." Alfred wondered aloud.
"Sit down, you idiot," Arthur pulled him down to his seat.

"Japan, if you have any problem then you can share it with us. We will try to help you as far as we can," Ludwig said.

Kiku didn't say a word. He stared at the floor with emotionless eyes.

"Is your economy falling apart?!"
"Did your defense get breached?"
"Ve~ Are you running out of pasta??"
"Are you in need of vodka, da~?"

I stayed silent as everyone asked him questions after questions. I looked at Yao. He looked perplexed as if he wanted to say something as well.

"Yao..." I whispered.
He looked over at me. He smiled and shook his head.
I frowned.

"What's the problem then?!"

Kiku let out a deep sigh. "There is no adversity that our country is facing right now," he said.

"Then why did you decide to come back to your country, da?" Ivan questioned him with a dark smile. He seemed to be tired of beating around the bush.

The Japanese country averted his eyes. "I said I was feeling homesick."

Everyone quietened down. The heavy stillness in the air returned.

"Homesick? I thought we were your home, Japan..."

We looked at Arthur. He had his hands clenched into fists. His eyes were covered by his bangs, however his shoulders were slightly shaking.

"I...I thought that friends were supposed to be your home. Are we...are we not your friends, Japan?" he asked.

A single drop of tear fell on his cheek as he silently cried.

"Mr. England..." Kiku frowned.

"Ve~ We are always there for you, Japan. You can always come to us when you're feeling lonely," Feliciano smiled.
"That's right, you bas‐ I mean, Japan! We will never let you be alone!" Lovino said with a grin.
"There is always a bunch of sunflowers in a garden to comfort a single sunflower, da," Ivan nodded.

"Everyone..."

Kiku's eyes gradually turned moist. He lowered his head and bowed to us. "Thank you very much for your kindness," he conveyed.

We smiled.

I decided I should talk to him as well. "Kiku‐"

I was interrupted by a laughter from outside. We turned and saw Antonio playing with a small dog in the backyard. We stood up and gathered outside on the outer corridor.

Antonio waved as he noticed us. "Hey, guys! Look whom I found here!"

The brown dog remained calm as Antonio rubbed its back. Was that Kiku's pet dog he once talked about?

"Ah, so you met him, Mr. Spain. That's my pet dog. His name is Pochi," Kiku answered.

On hearing its name, Pochi came running to us and sat down.

"Hey, Pochi! You grew up so much!" Alfred patted on its head.
"He used to be so little back then," Arthur smiled.

After getting petted by everyone, Pochi turned to me. "Umm, nice to meet you, Pochi. My name is (Y/n)," I introduced myself. The small dog came up to me. I bent down to pat him. He licked my fingers with his small tongue and carressed his head against them. I let out a small giggle.

However, I didn't realize that a certain country too was smiling on watching this.

Evening had arrived and we were too tired to go on. After dinner, Kiku arranged traditional floor beds for us in separate rooms.

I lay down on the bedding and fell asleep as soon as I closed my eyes. The spring breeze blew outside on the full moon night, unbeknownst to us, something was about to happen the next day.