Bits and Bobs

Arthurs strangely low necklines:

Morgana had prided herself on knowing everything that goes on within Camelots walls, but one thing she could never truly understand. 

Arthur's necklines.

It had started about a year after Merlin arrived in Camelot - long enough that the manservant's arrival didn't immediately come up when Morgana noticed the trend - but she was sure that those blasted necklines were getting lower and lower. Arthur had always liked having an open top, complaining the others were uncomfortable and impractical, but this was getting ridiculous.

I mean, you could see over half of his chest.

As Morgana opens her mouth to voice her complaints, she falters as she sees Arthur sneak a sly sidewards glance. Closing her jaw, she turns to see where Arthur had sneakily looked and sees a very flustered merlin staring openly at the skin on display - hands frozen and slack-jawed.

Morgana smirks.

Now she understands.

Their habits of saying each others name in their sleep

The first time The Knights heard Merlin mutter the Princes' name in his sleep, it had come as a surprise. It had been on a patrol, but the servant had dozed off whilst on duty. As always, the Prince had complained about his servants' laziness but when one of the new recruits went to wake the limp figure the Prince had snapped at him to leave him before retiring. Now, the new recruits gaze snaps to the servant, morphing from shock to realisation in a matter of seconds.

The Knights smirked.

The event of name muttering from both parties soon became the norm, and soon the Knights simply traded knowing looks and soft smiles before continuing - the silent agreement to never speak of it going unsaid. 

However, this could only go on for so long. 

It happens after Merlin narrowly misses dying at the hand of a stubborn bandit - the blade slicing the side of his stomach - and the Knights were on high alert. They were all gathered around a steadily flickering fire, and Merlin's head was pillowed on Arthurs' thigh. The servant had been complaining that the ground was uncomfortable and the two had finally stopped bickering about him using Arthur as a personal pillow. The conversation had paused for a brief moment when Merlin speaks. 

"Ar..Arthur" 

The Prince in question tries to ignore it as much as possible - the slight tint to his cheeks betraying him - whilst he continues stroking his fingers through Merlin's hair - and no he doesn't know when that started - but when he raises his eyes he sees all the knights looking at him carefully. They don't seem surprised, and he goes to open his mouth to ask when Gwaine cuts him off.

"It's normal, Princess"

Arthur couldn't meet Merlins' or the knights' eyes for the rest of the week without turning into a stuttering/blushing mess. 

Rumours

Arthur grips the hilt of his sword - which his useless manservant had left behind - when the voices float in from behind the door.

"He certainly is pretty - those cheekbones could cut through chainmail"

Arthur rolls his eyes at the normal gossip, turning toward the door when he freezes in his place.

"Shame he's the Princes"

Hold on.

"Those could just be rumours" One of the men reasons, and Arthur gets a sinking feeling that he knows who they are talking about.

"The Prince would hate you if you made a move on him"

Arthur smirks, least that man is smart enough to realise the consequences.

"I'm sure Merlin wouldn't-" The annoying man states, cutting himself off when the Prince slams open the door and glared at him - sword glinting menacingly in the faint light.

"Merlin is my manservant"

Knights reaction to Merlins' treasonous insults to Arthur

"Not if I kill you first" Merlin mutters, standing behind Arthurs' throne with a disgruntled expression.

"That's treason, Merlin. You can't kill the king" Arthur responds immediately, casting a glare towards the smirking servant.

"How about killing a dollophead?" Merlin retorts, leaning forward slightly as if that can help him mock  Arthur more.

"That's still treason. Arrest him" Arthur dismisses, smirking at his servant annoyed expression. However, Arthur's confidence falters as no guards move, and the Knights surrounding him laugh. 

"I'm being serious" Arthur states, staring incredulously at the surrounding men. 

"Of course, sire" Leon comforts, but still no one moves. 

Merlin smirks.

Arthur glares.