Chapter Fifteen

Caspian stared at the notification on his tablet. Fenton Newelling. Leave of absence approved.

Certainly, Fenton did leave in a rush after their study session together, but Caspian didn't think much of it at the time. Fenton hadn't mentioned anything being wrong. Nor had he bothered to come to class the next day, but that could mean anything, couldn't it?

Caspian's gaze flitted between his tablet and his phone. Should he call? No, he absolutely couldn't. After all, he was the one who had established the nature of their relationship. Teacher and student.

But he couldn't help but to wonder if he should expand on that. Not as a couple. Absolutely not as a couple. Fenton was cute, but Caspian wasn't ready for that sort of deal. He only wanted to know if it would be alright if there were a little more open with each other. Maybe that would be a step in the right direction.

Someone knocked at the door.

"Come in."

Some young girl that Caspian didn't recognize entered his office. She began to rant about... Something. Caspian was only halfway paying attention. He was more concerned with trying to figure out a way to call Fenton without appearing... Attached. Was that the right word?

"... Fenton."

The girl's statement made Caspian's ears perk up. "Hmm? What was that?"

She blinked a few times. "Ah, uhm..." There was a notebook in her hands, that she quickly began to flip through. Caspian hadn't absorbed anything she had said, and that had thrown her for a loop.

"What was that about Mister Newelling?" Caspian asked, clarifying his previous statement.

The girl took a deep breath to steady herself. She opened her mouth.

"Wait, is that a dog?" Caspian pointed to the dog on the floor. He hadn't noticed it follow her in.

Once more, the girl had lost track of her pacing. "W-well, yes. But can we talk about him later? This is quite an urgent matter, Professor Song. My name is La-"

Caspian tuned her out again. Seeing this adorable Irish Setter sitting so quiet and proper in his office had sent his heart on a downward spiral. He missed his own dog, Betty White, so much. How he longed to fluff up those perfect fuzzy cheeks with his fingers."

"- and in regards to your association with, uhm, Mister Newelling-"

"Yeah, he's my partner," muttered Caspian absentmindedly. Betty always did a little dance whenever it was mealtime. He hoped Marc was treating her well.

"... Eh?" Lacey's speech had tumbled out of her head.

"... Hmm?" Caspian noticed that the girl had stopped talking again. Now she was simply standing there, with the color completely drained from her face. "... Are you alright?"

"Maybe?" Lacey's hands tightened against the notebook. "... So uhm, in regards to Fenton's roommate, I had wondered if you'd help me figure some stuff out."

Caspian's brain went into overtime as it struggled to remember everything this girl had muttered. Her name was Lacey Grace. Fenton's roommate went missing. She wanted to talk to Caspian because he, like Fenton, was an outsider who was forced to move into a chosen city.

Lacey closed her notebook and held it to her chest. "I contacted some people I know, and I think I found something in common with all of the men that went missing. But um, before we get any further, I want to know if you're someone I can trust."