Chapter Seventeen

"We need to maintain our schedules." Melissa was pacing back and forth across her living room.

"And how am I supposed to do that?"

Fenton was sitting on the couch. He had been sleeping in Melissa's office. Even thinking about going home right now was putting him on the verge of having a panic attack. The sound of his phone vibrating was enough to give him heart palpitations.

"Who is it?" Melissa immediately straightened up and folded her arms. She was already prepared to hear the worst.

"... They said that they were going to reevaluate my leave of absence on Friday."

Melissa raised an eyebrow. "Are you asking for more time?" He nodded." What do you expect to do, Fenton? Spend that time going out and hunting for Albert's killer."

"He isn't dead yet," spat Fenton under his breath.

There was a lot that Melissa wanted to say at the moment. Mostly, it was just her trying to sort out her frustrations. Albert was her friend too. She didn't like the idea that he was just suddenly gone, and that she had nothing to do but to wait for them to announce that he had died.

"Look, you know that Albert and I have known each other for a long time. He isn't some noble guy who doesn't want us to get hurt. Albert would want us to do everything we could to save him, but we just don't have the resources to do that.

What can we do is hope that the police find something. We've given them all the help we can and we're going to keep helping them if they ask. Either they find Albert or they don't. The only thing we can do is live our lives until they give us some new hint of information."

Albert and Melissa became friends because of one simple fact; they both had mice as their marks. They were children at the time, and not everyone needs a purpose to friendship. As much fun as they had in the past, Melissa couldn't look back on those days fondly. Not now. Not after everything she and Albert had learned since they arrived at Blue Ginger.

Fenton is what opened their world. He didn't mean to do it, but talking about the outside world had exposed just how corrupt the world of the marked was. Controlled breeding, complete separation from their families, limited choices for jobs and careers.

They were told it was about protection and quality of life, but Melissa had her doubts. Especially now. These kidnappings were proof that their leaders only worked as long as everyone followed the flow. As soon as someone was out there killing people, they didn't know what to do anymore.

It was all lies. Every damn second of their lives was another lie stacked upon the pile.

Fenton studied Melissa's face. She was in so much pain, but she struggled to keep it hidden underneath a faint frown. He stood up and gave her a weak hug. Melissa pouted for a moment before she leaned slightly into him.

"We'll get through this," lied Fenton. "We'll be okay."

"I know," whispered Melissa. A hint of guilt hit her heart as she also knew that was a lie.

Melissa's phone began to beep. She pulled away from Fenton and checked her phone. "Sorry, Fen, I have to take this." There was a pause as she walked towards her bedroom. "Gilroy, was it? ... Yes, that's me. Yes... Now, why would you want that information?"

Fenton took a seat on the couch and looked around the room. This was Melissa and Rafi's home. They worked hard to make it theirs. Melissa had a point in trying to return to some sort of normalcy, as in, he couldn't stay here forever.

But he couldn't go home either.

The thought of going home and not seeing Albert there to greet him... Fenton clutched at his chest, scrunching up his shirt while he did so. None of this felt real. It all felt like one of those crime dramas his mother watched when he was a young child.