Chapter Sixteen

"Am I familiar with gardening," muttered Albert between his teeth.

He had no way of knowing what time of day it was, nor how much time had passed. Food was brought to him based on if he was awake or not. A new pitcher of water would arrive shortly after he had finished the old one.

This had to be some sort of psychological trap. Some way to make Albert feel like he was running out of time, forcing him to give up Juliet's location. But... He wasn't going to. Albert had other worries to think about.

... Such as disabling the cameras.

The screen on the wall was a modern television, less than ten years old. It likely had wifi built-in and Anthea was activating it through a signal instead of wiring. Wifi meant that it was connected to a network, which meant that perhaps Albert had a way to contact the outside.

A smart television would have some sort of processor attached to it. They were more like a basic computer, with a rudimentary operating system that required updates. Even without a keyboard, Albert was convinced he could send out some sort of binary signal.

He may even be able to make it look like a security attack, using the television as a back wall to enter the manufacturer's systems. Albert laughed to himself. Utterly impossible without a keyboard, but it was still wishful thinking.

None of that would be possible with Anthea watching him. The cameras were hidden within the light fixtures. The table, chair, and bed were bolted to the floor. No chance of using them as cover. Destroy the lights, then Albert wouldn't be able to see.

Albert ran his fingers through his beard and tugged on the hairs so it stretched out his cheeks. Think, Albert, think. He could break a lightbulb, stick in a fork, and cause an electrical reset. It would stutter Anthea's computer and the router.

A minute to start up the computer, maybe two for the router. Program loading, probably passwords to type in... Still likely only two minutes before she could see him again. Another two to three before she could do anything to stop him.

Those were odds that Albert was comfortable with. Now all he needed to do to prepare as much as possible so he could pull his plan together quickly. Something he had learned was that he wouldn't get new food unless he returned any bowls and utensils to the food slot. He had been returning them right away so that he wouldn't cause suspicion.

He'd strike as soon as the next one showed up. Which should be soon, if his stomach was having any say. Just as he was thinking about it, the slot on the wall opened, and there was a bowl of oatmeal with bacon, beans, and a fried egg on top. Sure, it wasn't the tastiest, but it was probably nutritional.

Albert scarfed it down with a spoon. Problem solving on an empty stomach was never one of his strong suits. He then stood up, wrapped his jacket around his hand, climbed on the table, and plunged the handle of the spoon into a light.

Just like he predicted, the power breaker tripped with a loud crack, plunging the room into darkness. Albert's jacket protected him from feeling the zap, but his hands were still shaking. He carefully hopped down and felt his way towards the screen.

He discovered earlier that the plexiglass had been slipped in. Albert spread his hands wide against it, trying to get as much traction as possible as he lifted upward. Slowly, the glass shifted.

Albert managed to get his hands underneath it. Another lift and he managed to rotate it enough so he could pull it out completely. The lights flickered on just as he set it down. He stifled the urge to start counting up to 180, as needless numbers in his head would be too much of a distraction.