Chapter Two

The rain splattered like huge blots of paint thumping against a roof in the warm air as I walked along the sidewalk with my brown umbrella, watching a leaf boat carried away in the current of the water close to the sidewalk.

"Lily?, are you there?," a voice replied.

I turned around. Mom approached, her blue navy purse dangling on her arm and the gray umbrella hanging on top of her head like a spiky gray tutu.

"Right here mom,"I replied as the leaf drew away from the water.

"Ready to go to the art store?,"Mom said.

I nodded enthusiastically.

The art store, or should I say the craftstore also, has a lot of fun activities there that most of the time, me and my best friend would go there after school. But sometimes I would go alone. The bakery shop is next to the Art and Crafts store. There, you could make your own cookies and cupcakes. I use to go to the bakeryshop once a while. I remembered the sweet smell of chocolate and steamed bread every time I go by the shop.Mr.Connel is the person working in the bakery shop and he can be a little serious. The door bell jingled as we walked inside the store. A woman in a olive green shirt and a gray long skirt approached in our direction. She had blond hair and ocean blue eyes which twinkled in the white light outside the glass door.

"Hi, my name is Natalie, "replied the woman. "How may I help you?"

We're just going to look around," my mom said.

"Okay, but tell me if you need any help," she said politely and winked at me when mom wasn't looking. But it looks like it wasn't like a normal friendly wink. More like a sectretive wink in a suspicious gesture.

Okay.... that was strange I thought. First a fairy dream, then the fairy I thought I might've seen at my window and now this mysterious "Natalie" person. I looked around the room full with canvases, easels, jars, paint, coloring pencils, and lots of other things I can imagine. It's fascinating when I'm looking at the art pieces of colorful shaped glasses, one of them in a swirl and some in a undefined shape I can't describe. Crystal quartz blown glass spheres gleaming and there colors bursting all in a rainbow. A young girl in a pink dress and in a ponytail was reaching a box of crayons until something caught her eye for a second. Her eyes widened and her mouth gaped at something hiding behind the boxes of crayons. A tiny gasped escaped out of her lips. The girl said something that made me feel intense that I want to go over there and take a look. But this time, she said it a little clear only that I can hear.

"A fairy!", she nearly scream in delight.

A fairy with reddish brown curly hair in a green cap and a pink rose colored dress cartwheeled and giggled at the girl, then vanished in a second. This time, I was positive that I saw a glimpse of the fairy. And after thinking about it, it seem to me that it was a Never fairy. I glanced to see if anyone was looking my way but no one noticed. I guess they didn'seem to care. The little girl in a ponytail was confused at what she saw earlier and went back to her mom out the door to their car.

"Did you find anything interesting hon?", Mom asked. She held a glass sphere and admired it, showing it in front of me.

"Not much, I thought they were going to add something new today", I responded.

We went out of the store and walked home, not far from town. Mom whistled a song but I was silent. The only thing that came to my mind was the Never fairy.

❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦ ❧❦

"Right, left, left, right, turn.... shoot!", Damian shouted. Beaded drops of sweat streamed down my cheeks in the blazing hot sun outside in our neighborhood. The basketball leaped into the air and slammed against the basketball rim. Then I lifted my right elbow high and launched the ball in the hoop one more time after dribbling again.