Birthday Bash

A warm summer afternoon in London, close to the early evening for Ruby Gatlin. She was waiting at the window for the car to pull up and for her friends from Hundred Oaks to invite her to her 15th birthday adventure. She was dressed up in different clothes, a bright lavender tank top under a navy blue button-up. Jet black leggings under her torn jeans. She had her usual flats on though due to her not wearing heels. Edd noticed how she was waiting, not knowing about the plans. "WEAR', are you going to dress up like that?" The brunette asked, adding in a pun. "It's my birthday today. I'm waiting for my friends from back home to pick me up so we can have fun" she answered, gripping her backpack. Her hair was washed and styled, put up into a low braid. "Where's Sam and Kathy?" the brunette continued by asking. "At the airport waiting for them to exit," she answered quietly. Nearly jumping when Ringo, Edd's cat, rubs against her leg, Ruby starts to look down a bit. "I wish dad was here. He would be happy to see me grow up to be a young woman" the young ginger said, voice nearly shaking. Edd was shocked to hear this, thinking that she had passed it. He then walked towards her, trying to comfort her. "I know. I miss him too, you're not alone" he said, pulling her into a hug.

It was true when he said this. Chris, Ruby's father, was one of Edd's best friends. He introduced him and the others to Kathrine when she first visited, and to his family after they married. By the time Ruby was 13, he, unfortunately, passed away from a heart attack. This destroyed Ruby's family and friends, leaving them distraught. The funeral wasn't better, having him cremated, Ruby couldn't bear to even be in the room, without breaking down. Chris was more than just a friend, he was a guardian to Ruby and her siblings, helping them with any emergency. But he was gone now, leaving Ruby until she learned to stand up for herself and stay strong.

Ruby sat down on the couch, holding the black tabby close to her. "I thought he would stay strong for us. But of course, his time came" Ruby said, scratching the tabby behind her ears. "I know, but you do know that you have us, not to mention the others," Edd told her, trying to cheer up the ginger. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Life can go on, even without the people who were with you" Ruby said, smiling slightly. "That's the spirit," he said, hand going through her hair, making her laugh. That's when they heard a car horn, Shadow, Ruby's cat, meowing at the door. "That's my ride, bye Edd. See you later" Ruby said, handing Ringo to the brunette. "Bye Ruby '' he said, waving as she and Shadow left out the door to the car.

As Ruby opened the door, she was greeted by her friends cheering and greeting her. "Are you ready for your awesome celebration today?" John said, Daisy, his pup, barking excitedly. "Never been more excited in my life," Ruby said, sitting in the empty seat. The group left, cheering and singing along to the music.

Later at the Mall, Ruby was in the process of paying for a few items she wanted to get. The items were a new T-shirt, a sketchbook, colored pencils, Coca-Cola lip balm, and a new pencil case. "Wow, 15. We should do a celebration like this for your sweet 16" Lincoln said, Frostbite, his sunrise conure, perched on his arm. "Maybe, we should make a plan for your next birthday," John said, Daisy, pulling at her leash. "Maybe, I have to ask mom about it," Ruby said, Shadow, following her as she walked out of the store entrance.

Ruby and her friends had different therapy animals of their type to stay with them. Shadow was the only one who wasn't originally a therapy animal. Ruby first got Shadow when she was a stray kitten. She was hesitant when she was spotted, but grew more comfortable around the family. Originally, the plan for Shadow was to find a home for her, but Ruby grew so attached to her as she bonded more the the small kitten. She stayed with the family for as long as Ruby could remember, even following Ruby the most out of them all.

"Excuse me miss, you dropped this on your way out," a stranger said, stopping the group. Ruby was surprised to see the figure. His hair was a mess between gray and blonde, he wore all black, and his right eye was covered by an eye patch, leaving him with only one eye. Daisy and Fiona growled at the sight of the man, holding up Ruby's coin purse. Ruby hesitantly came up to the man, quickly grabbing the coin purse before her Mother shouted out. "What the Hell do you think you're doing here?! don't go near my daughter or her friends ever again. Got it" she scolded him, his face changing to fear and nervousness. "Listen, Kathy, I don't want any trouble. I was just giving her back her purse" he said, trying to calm her down. "Mom, calm down. He's telling the truth" Ruby said, pulling on her mother's arm. Kathy just growled at the man, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt. "Never go near her again," she said, letting him go. They walked away quickly, but not before looking at me and speaking to me one last time. "Make sure to check on Edd and the others," he said, finally out of sight.

"Mom who was that? How did he know you and Edd" Ruby asked, confused and nervous. Her mother would rarely lash out at anyone, but if she did, she would physically harm them. "He's no one, don't worry about sweetie" she answered, leading the group out of the first store. Ruby started to think about what the man said, starting to worry about Edd and the others. She pulled up her phone, dialing Edd's number to call him. The phone rang until it led to their voicemail. 'Okay, They must be too busy to answer the phone' she Thought before her throat tightened, realizing they had nothing to do. "Mom, I need to go use the restroom" Ruby lied, planning on finding the man. "Alright sweetie, but please hurry back. We'll be by the fountain" she said, grabbing Ruby's bag and exiting with the others. John and Lincoln looked back to see Ruby wink at them, walking away.